MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Royal West Africa Frontier Force RWAFF uniform buttons

Article about: I came across these two buttons today, quite rare and interesting I think. I had never even heard of this formation, if it had not been for the markings on the back I wouldn't even have know

Default Royal West Africa Frontier Force RWAFF uniform buttons

I came across these two buttons today, quite rare and interesting I think. I had never even heard of this formation, if it had not been for the markings on the back I wouldn't even have know it was British. I thought they might be good for reference here as I had never seen them before, perhaps others are the same.

Sorry for the bad pics but they are absolutely tiny, smaller than a 5p coin.

Royal West Africa Frontier Force RWAFF uniform buttonsRoyal West Africa Frontier Force RWAFF uniform buttonsRoyal West Africa Frontier Force RWAFF uniform buttons

Default Re: Royal West Africa Frontier Force RWAFF uniform buttons

Strangely though, the cap badge is quite commonly seen, as is the formation flash. I notice they are Gaunt London made and I think they are the mess dress version. Cool items and thanks for showing them.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Strangely though, the cap badge is quite commonly seen, as is the formation flash. I notice they are Gaunt London made and I think they are the mess dress version. Cool items and thanks for showing them.
    These African regiments used to have a dress code that involved the wearing of various types of waistcoat at all rank levels, certainly down to junior NCO level anyway. The buttons appear to be off one of these waistcoats to me.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    These African regiments used to have a dress code that involved the wearing of various types of waistcoat at all rank levels, certainly down to junior NCO level anyway. The buttons appear to be off one of these waistcoats to me.
    They certainly do look like waistcoat buttons Ned which is why I suggested mess dress, but I'm sure you are correct on them being more normal wear then.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by big ned View Post
    Cheers Ned, I missed that post until now

Nice button.
    If one is to swap let me know!
    Here is the only model i have.
    cheers
    |<
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Royal West Africa Frontier Force RWAFF uniform buttons   Royal West Africa Frontier Force RWAFF uniform buttons  

Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris