Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Small childs U.S. navy uniform

Article about: As we were checking out the second hand and antique stores yesterday my wife and I came across this wonderfull childs uniform . I am not up on Naval insignia or uniforms but from what I can

?

Default Small childs U.S. navy uniform

As we were checking out the second hand and antique stores yesterday my wife and I came across this wonderfull childs uniform . I am not up on Naval insignia or uniforms but from what I can tell the trousers appear to be navy bell bottoms and I believe the seamans pull over shirt , trousers and cap are of WW-2 era it is all constructed of wool and the workmanship that went into building this uniform is excellent. The uniform did come with a black silk scarf but I forgot to take a picture of it and it would appear by the button holes in the waist band of the trousers that it would have come with a small set of suspenders but I am unshur. I have never seen another one quite like it I am trying to figure out when this uniform would have been built and by who if anyone could be of assistance or has any comments they would be welcome.

Regards Mark K
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 335.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	248.0 KB 
ID:	231232   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 314.jpg 
Views:	419 
Size:	236.3 KB 
ID:	231233  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 337.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	246.9 KB 
ID:	231234   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 336.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	247.3 KB 
ID:	231235  

Name:	Picture 322.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	253.8 KB 
ID:	231236   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 326.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	249.2 KB 
ID:	231237  

Name:	Picture 315.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	236.6 KB 
ID:	231238   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 321.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	245.8 KB 
ID:	231239  

Name:	Picture 333.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	244.1 KB 
ID:	231240   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 339.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	250.4 KB 
ID:	231241  

Name:	Picture 343.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	250.4 KB 
ID:	231242   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 338.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	248.8 KB 
ID:	231243  

Name:	Picture 318.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	243.7 KB 
ID:	231244  

?

Default Re: Small childs U.S. navy uniform

What a flood of pleasent memories looking at this uniform. During WW2 my Grandma cut down and sewed by hand one of my cousin's naval uniforms. He was on a destroyer in the North Atlantic . I wore that thing to death. People marveled at the great job she did . I was only six years old and looked like a midget sailor in that rig. My cousin taught me how to tie the sailors knot in the tie and to crease the little white hat just right. Sure wished I had a photo of me in that getup. One of the ironies of life is that I went into the Army and had no interest in going Navy.

Thanks for sharing photos and sorry I can't be of help. Just thought I would share this great memory.

Sam

Sorry I cant help you.
    but I think this uniform is great ,just a super find.
    Chris

?

I just could not believe It when I seen it hanging there the store owner said her and her husband have had it for years and displayed it on a manequine I paid $35 CDN for it and was just thrilled to get it at that It almost felt like I was stealing at that price. Thanks Chris and Sam by the way Sam welcome to the forum glad it brought you some pleasent memories.

Regards Mark K

?

Mark these uniforms were made for kids during WWI and WWII . As stated above some were home made and some store bought. You can find Army , Navy, and Marine uniforms for kids Marine and Army are the harder to find. Kids wanted to look like their dads and play war. Great uniform. Gary

I think that was a great buy.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Thank you all for your comments and interest Adrian if I remember right did you not comment on another childs uniform last month posted by Steve R please correct me if I am wrong. As I would like to compare the two.

Regards Mark K