Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Are these Royal Navy deck boots?

Article about: I seem to have very well in the past week with boots (http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/unifor...-boots-702269/). This pair had been ‘adapted’ post war into a pair of ice skates. They are clearl

Default Are these Royal Navy deck boots?

I seem to have very well in the past week with boots (Boots, Boots, Boots!). This pair had been ‘adapted’ post war into a pair of ice skates. They are clearly dated 1945 and are a good size 11 and despite their initial appearance I think they’re pretty good for £25.
    I believe that they are Royal Navy deck boots which were also worn by the Royal Marines, unless anybody can tell me different. I know that the RAF also had boots without toe caps (as did the Canadians, however, these are clearly not Canadian boots).
    To the top of both boots there is something stamped into the leather. It is not clear but appears to be ??RONC. The ‘N’ appears to be a sideways ‘Z’.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Are these Royal Navy deck boots?   Are these Royal Navy deck boots?  

Are these Royal Navy deck boots?   Are these Royal Navy deck boots?  

After a quick polish (I know they wouldn’t pass inspection!!!)
    They have what appear to be their original laces, however, one has broken. You can also see where the hobnails would have been originally
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Are these Royal Navy deck boots?   Are these Royal Navy deck boots?  

Well they look like RN issue boots to me, the only thing that bothers me is your boots only have 6 pairs of lace holes, all of the navy boots i have seen have 7 pairs!..

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    Well they look like RN issue boots to me, the only thing that bothers me is your boots only have 6 pairs of lace holes, all of the navy boots i have seen have 7 pairs!..
    Interesting, I have checked and they definitely have not been cut down. I have had a good check and other then the aforementioned stamps I cannot find any other marks

Examples of the deck boots in wear