Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

unknown BD ...

Article about: Hi all picked up this BD last week it is very well made I got it from an opp shop in perth. So I know nothing of its history . I was wondering if anyone has seen this type of cut and can ide

Default unknown BD ...

Hi all picked up this BD last week it is very well made I got it from an opp shop in perth. So I know nothing of its history . I was wondering if anyone has seen this type of cut and can identify it ? any help would be great .
    thanks.
    matty
    unknown BD ...unknown BD ...unknown BD ...

The "fly front" that covers the buttons indicates a Pattern 1949 BD. WWII BD's had exposed buttons.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    The "fly front" that covers the buttons indicates a Pattern 1949 BD. WWII BD's had exposed buttons.
    Not quite correct, the early p37 and the p40 pre austerity version had all covered buttons whilst the p49 should have exposed pocket buttons. The collar/lapels is of the type seen on p49 but officer conversions were done during the war to allow them to be worn with a shirt and tie and very late war the same was sometimes done for OR's.

Not sure what it is and some better close ups of the buttons and fabric/lining might help, but I think it is post war Greek or Belgian or similar.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I will take some close up's soon jerry .

Hello Jerry, Are you sure on this? Looking in a couple of reference books, it's giving totally different info. In the Osprey series by Brian Jewell, he says that "Buttons on the pockets remained exposed, though a fly front was restored to 1949 Pattern BD." Also, in David Gordon's "Uniforms of the WWII Tommy" it states that "1940 Pattern Battle Dress (occasionally labelled 1942 Pattern) was introduced in 1942; it deleted the fly front. The front buttons, as well as the pocket buttons, were now exposed."

If you look at the Imperial War Museums Collection, it shows good clear shots of all of the BD patterns from 1937, 1940 and 1949. Take a look at the link here and see what you think?
    Blouse Battledress 1937 pattern ORs Royal Engineers (UNI 2407)
    William

Default more pictures

It appears to be of high quality the lining is a denim and the BD appears to be wool . unknown BD ...unknown BD ...unknown BD ...unknown BD ...unknown BD ...unknown BD ...

Concealed buttons! That would eliminate the 1949's as well as the 1940/2's as well. Take a look at the Imperial War Museum's and see if anything looks comparable to you, but the 1937's seem to be the only one with pockets like that. As Jerry said, it may not even be British at all, but a foreign issue.
    Blouse Battledress 1937 pattern ORs Royal Engineers (UNI 2407)
    William

thanks for the info guys there is no marks or label anywhere I'v had a good look . it's a mystery BD I suppose

I just thought I would contribute some uniforms from my collection to this debate, dated 1940, 1945 and 1955. All have fly front, but only the 1955 blouse (49 pattern) has exposed pocket buttons, though of course many wartime BD's do have exposed buttons. In my judgement the blouse shown in this thread is most likely not British or wartime. The lining is totally wrong, and there should be a white label or WD ink stamps.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture unknown BD ...   unknown BD ...  

unknown BD ...  

?

IMO it is not British or Canadian either Douglas and I agree with you and Jerry that it is a post war constructed BD I really do not like the buckle either for war time produced I can not find one quite like this example in any of my reference material to compare it to.
    As to the debate over the exposed pocket buttons all Canadian produced BD's buttons were covered war time and post war alike here is a war time and post war BD from my collection as well as some comparative reference material.

Regards Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture unknown BD ...   unknown BD ...  

unknown BD ...  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast