Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

UNRRA Battle Dress blouse of a US veteran

Article about: Recent purchase: a Canadian made Battle Dress blouse with the insignia of a US Army veteran employed by the United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administration, dated to ca. 1944-1946. i

Default UNRRA Battle Dress blouse of a US veteran

Recent purchase: a Canadian made Battle Dress blouse with the insignia of a US Army veteran employed by the United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administration, dated to ca. 1944-1946. i have found that, even if not a military corps, staff of the UNRRA, one of the main United Nations branches active during and after the war, was require to wear uniforms, both US or British Army, Photo evidences seem to attest a marked majority of British/Commonwealth uniforms, as in this case, a Canadian made blouse of the "second" pattern (hooks and loops collar closure having been replaced by a simpler tab and button). Training for the UNRRA could be undertaken both in UK, USA or in Canada. This blouse has belonged to a veteran of the United States Army, as attested by the US Army Good Conduct Medal, American Defense Service Medal, American Campaign Medal, and European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal ribbons. The previous owner was a Gunner C. R. Reeves, service number H 75224, 38 Battery. Maybe researchable?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture UNRRA Battle Dress blouse of a US veteran   UNRRA Battle Dress blouse of a US veteran  

UNRRA Battle Dress blouse of a US veteran   UNRRA Battle Dress blouse of a US veteran  

UNRRA Battle Dress blouse of a US veteran   UNRRA Battle Dress blouse of a US veteran  

UNRRA Battle Dress blouse of a US veteran  

Default Re: UNRRA Battle Dress blouse of a US veteran

That is most certainly an unusual battledress! Great that you have a bit of back ground on the original owner too. Leon.

Interesting BD, as you say a Canadian 2nd pattern, late 43 I think they changed over to the tab and button collar closure, also it appears the original owner was a Canadian as well from his service number with the letter in front of it.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Jerry, are you sure abut the service number? because I guess a Canadian soldier would not be entitled to wear US Army service medals, would he?

With the H in front, the British did not use letters in their service numbers and as it says btty for battery I assumed he was commonwealth force artillery, though I know nothing about US service numbers. I thought you implied that it had belonged to someone else before being issued to the member of the UNRRA?

Canadian Second World War Assigned Letters & Regimental Service Number ID. - Canada at War Forums
    Regards,

Jerry

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    With the H in front, the British did not use letters in their service numbers and as it says btty for battery I assumed he was commonwealth force artillery, though I know nothing about US service numbers. I thought you implied that it had belonged to someone else before being issued to the member of the UNRRA?

Canadian Second World War Assigned Letters & Regimental Service Number ID. - Canada at War Forums
    Geez, so this is quite a puzzle: Canadian BD, Canadian service number BUT american service medal ribbons... I should think that a UN Agency would NOT provide its staff with second hand garments... and by the way, the BD blouse is in a rather unissued condition...

Any chance it has been pimped/messed with? Does the insignia look settled/sunken into the fabric?
    Regards,

Jerry

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Any chance it has been pimped/messed with? Does the insignia look settled/sunken into the fabric?
    service medal ribbons seem to have always been on the blouse, the UNRRA title could have been eventually added at a later date, but I rather do not see the point to mess with a good Canadian BD in order to ascribe it to a civilian organization... generally is the other way round!

Quote by Loupie1961 View Post
    service medal ribbons seem to have always been on the blouse, the UNRRA title could have been eventually added at a later date, but I rather do not see the point to mess with a good Canadian BD in order to ascribe it to a civilian organization... generally is the other way round!
    Could the serviceman have been a Canadian who was attached say, as an advisor to the US hence the American awards? A long shot I know,but it is the UN after all!! Leon.