Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

US 17th and 82nd Airborne Ike Jacket, Hat and Boots

Article about: by jimpy Great uniform group guys, the bit that really caught my eye though was the 17AB patch. They "bounced the Rhine" with my late grand-father's unit in WW2. He was 4th Grenadi

Default US 17th and 82nd Airborne Ike Jacket, Hat and Boots

After completion of Jump School in 1963 I was assigned to the 82nd Airborne Division. A couple months after arriving at Ft. Bragg I was brousing through the post thrift shop and found the following uniform, It consisted of a Ike Jacket, Hat, Trousers and Boots. I paid a whopping $2.00 for the lot. The jacket retained all the attached insignia with the exception of the fourragere which was one of mine from my service with the division. At that time the division was still full of WW2 Airborne Vets and it was not uncommon to see NCO's and Officers wearing the 82nd Patch on both sleeves. My platoon Sgt was veteran of the Normandy jump and was captured shortly after landing in France and spent the remainder of the war as a POW. The jacket has DI's for the 1st BN 505th Inf, so I assume that was his last assignment before the army changed to the green uniform and gave up the Ike jackets. The jacket is dated 9 June 1944 and sports a 17th Airborne combat patch and a 82nd patch on the left sleeve, 15 years of service stripes and 18 months combat indicated by the three stripes on the right sleeve. The boots are cap toe brown issue boots, they are not Jump Boots per say. They are marked on the inside to a Thomas Robinson, but I haven't been able to find any info on that individual, don't know if they were with the original group or thrown in by the thrift shop people.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US 17th and 82nd Airborne Ike Jacket, Hat and Boots   US 17th and 82nd Airborne Ike Jacket, Hat and Boots  

US 17th and 82nd Airborne Ike Jacket, Hat and Boots   US 17th and 82nd Airborne Ike Jacket, Hat and Boots  

US 17th and 82nd Airborne Ike Jacket, Hat and Boots  

Default Re: US 17th and 82nd Airborne Ike Jacket, Hat and Boots

That is very nice, and if you ever want to triple your investment, I'll gladly pay you triple what you paid for it - LOLOLO.

I do like that as My last active duty unit i was with was the 82nd Airborne, when i was in Iraq.

Very nice in deed, especially those master Sgt stripes...

Thanks for showing that.

Brian

Quote by blackheart0866 View Post
    That is very nice, and if you ever want to triple your investment, I'll gladly pay you triple what you paid for it - LOLOLO.

I do like that as My last active duty unit i was with was the 82nd Airborne, when i was in Iraq.

Very nice in deed, especially those master Sgt stripes...

Thanks for showing that.

Brian
    Brian,
    Thanks for the offer, but will probably keep it for now. The 82nd was my favorite unit, started my career as a Pvt (grunt) with the Division in 1963 and returned in 1977 as a Capt commanding the Gun Platoon for the Aviation Battalion. Good memories!! Thanks for your service in Iraq, I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Most miserable place on the face of the earth. Spent some time in that region when I was with the 10th SFG.

Terry

Yes, i have worked with some with 10th Group, when i was with 5th Grp, was you stationed at Fort Carson, or Panzer Kaserne, near Stuttgart.

And yes, Iraq was one great big shit hole, but at least i got to put rounds down range, if you know what i mean.

Brian

Yes, i have worked with some with 10th Group, when i was with 5th Grp, was you stationed at Fort Carson, or Panzer Kaserne, near Stuttgart.

And yes, Iraq was one great big shit hole, but at least i got to put rounds down range, if you know what i mean.

Brian
    Brian,
    The group was at Bad Tolz and Lengrees. The HQ Co and Sig Co were at Tolz and A,B and C Co were at Lengrees which was about 8 Km from Tolz. It was over 40 years ago when I was tramping around the Alps with the Group. Not sure where they are these days. I know some of the 10th still works out of Germany and the rest of the Group was at Devens, but I have been retired since 88 and have not kept up with the units.
    Terry

Brian
    Brian,
    Never got to Carson or Panzer Kaserne. Spent most of my time between Germany, Ft. Bragg and Vietnam, with a couple stop overs at Ft. Leonard Wood, Tradoc HQ at Ft. Monroe and Ft. Benning.

Great history there guys. I only served with the eighty-deuce for 3 years in peacetime. I was initially assigned to 5th group at Bragg, but when I arrived at 18th corp repl they informed me that my MOS was short in the 82nd and that is where I spent my enlistment.

I can't tell by the photos, but the boots look a lot like Corcorans. Do they have the slanted heel for jumping?

Quote by tampalam View Post
    Great history there guys. I only served with the eighty-deuce for 3 years in peacetime. I was initially assigned to 5th group at Bragg, but when I arrived at 18th corp repl they informed me that my MOS was short in the 82nd and that is where I spent my enlistment.

I can't tell by the photos, but the boots look a lot like Corcorans. Do they have the slanted heel for jumping?
    No they are not Corcorans. They are standard issue boots. The army was still issuing the brown cap toe boots a late as 63. When I showed up at the replacement depot I was issued the brown boots and as soon as we got to the barracks we were given a large bottle of black dye and everyone dyed their boots after which we were given a guick course on how to spit shine the boots by the barracks Sgt.

Terry

Really nice, classy uniform and in great shape, too! Looks like you have taken great care of it during these years!

Regards, Giorgos

?

Great uniform group guys, the bit that really caught my eye though was the 17AB patch.
    They "bounced the Rhine" with my late grand-father's unit in WW2. He was 4th Grenadier Guards, 6th Guards (Tank) Brigade. He always spoke highly of them and I have always wanted to get hold of a genuine WW2 17AB shoulder patch to put on a small display with a 6G(T)B patch.

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast