Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

US 2nd armored div uniform

Article about: Hi...My grandfather served in the army during ww2. I was told he was in the 2nd armored division(he had a lot of "hell on wheels" patches, etc when i was growing up.Unfortunately h

jearn250
    ?

Default US 2nd armored div uniform

Hi...My grandfather served in the army during ww2. I was told he was in the 2nd armored division(he had a lot of "hell on wheels" patches, etc when i was growing up.Unfortunately he passed away in '96. I found his uniform and I was wondering if anyone could tell me any specifics about it(ribbons, cords, patches, etc) Thank you very much.
    JoshUS 2nd armored div uniformUS 2nd armored div uniform

Default re: US 2nd armored div uniform

Hi Josh, welcome to the forum!

A very nice M44 "Ike Jacket".

Rank of Corporal.

Bars to the lower sleeve are 3 year service stripe and Overseas service stripes for 3 years (One stripe = 6 months)

Badge to the breast is the so called "Ruptured Duck". This was added when he was honourably discharged from the Army at the end of WW2 and allowed him to wear his uniform home and showed he was no longer subject to military discipline.

Collar dogs show he was an Infantryman, with the crossed rifles insignia.

The lanyards or fourragère are foriegn awards given to his unit. Belgian Croix de Guerre.

His medal ribbons are typical late war with celluloid coverings. I rather like these as they are so 1940's in style. You can look up what they are here:

Awards and decorations of the United States military - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hope this helps?

Cheers, Ade.