Become our sponsor and display your banner here

US 56th Fighter Group uniform set

Article about: I recently picked up this uniform from a local estate auction house and have recently gotten the crash report. His name was Lt. Byron J. Fisher and he was a pilot in the 61st Fighter Squadro

Default US 56th Fighter Group uniform set

I recently picked up this uniform from a local estate auction house and have recently gotten the crash report. His name was Lt. Byron J. Fisher and he was a pilot in the 61st Fighter Squadron of the 56th Fighter Group who was sadly killed in a mid air collision with a P-51 being flown by F/Lt W. Zielonka of 309 (P) Squadron. F/Lt. Zielonka was able to bail out successfully even though his aircraft was cut in two. The P-47 is reported to have exploded on contact.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	42543   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back.JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	42544  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	interior front.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	42545   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	interior back.JPG 
Views:	99 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	42546  

Name:	ditty bag1.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	42547   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	collar  insignia.JPG 
Views:	114 
Size:	136.0 KB 
ID:	42548  

Name:	sleeve cuff.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	42549   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SSI.JPG 
Views:	99 
Size:	135.8 KB 
ID:	42550  

Name:	SSI interior.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	42551   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	j r gaunt US.JPG 
Views:	112 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	42552  

Default re: US 56th Fighter Group uniform set

A few more pictures.
    Quote by Gary Cain View Post
    I recently picked up this uniform from a local estate auction house and have recently gotten the crash report. His name was Lt. Byron J. Fisher and he was a pilot in the 61st Fighter Squadron of the 56th Fighter Group who was sadly killed in a mid air collision with a P-51 being flown by F/Lt W. Zielonka. F/Lt. Zielonka was able to bail out successfully even though his aircraft was cut in two. The P-47 is reported to have exploded on contact.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	label.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	132.4 KB 
ID:	42553   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shirt label.JPG 
Views:	111 
Size:	163.4 KB 
ID:	42554  

Name:	dog tag.JPG 
Views:	109 
Size:	140.1 KB 
ID:	42555   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shirt witness marks.JPG 
Views:	101 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	42556  

?

That sir is a beautiful Officers Ike jacket. The British Guant manufactured US insignia are highly sought after. Check the prop & wings also. The 8th aircorp patch that has had bullion added to it is something I have seen as British work also. With the provenance you have that is a center piece for any WWII American collection.

Hi Steve,

Yes you are correct about it being the centerpiece. I am going to sell off a nice Ike with no provenance and keep this one. The Wing and Props are Gaunt as well(I photographed the characteristic screwback to highlight that). I am hoping to track down the consignor and see if there is anything else. I would also love to know how the set got out here of all places.

Cheers
    Gary
    Quote by SteveR View Post
    That sir is a beautiful Officers Ike jacket. The British Guant manufactured US insignia are highly sought after. Check the prop & wings also. The 8th aircorp patch that has had bullion added to it is something I have seen as British work also. With the provenance you have that is a center piece for any WWII American collection.