MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

US 56th Fighter Group uniform set

Article about: I recently picked up this uniform from a local estate auction house and have recently gotten the crash report. His name was Lt. Byron J. Fisher and he was a pilot in the 61st Fighter Squadro

Default US 56th Fighter Group uniform set

I recently picked up this uniform from a local estate auction house and have recently gotten the crash report. His name was Lt. Byron J. Fisher and he was a pilot in the 61st Fighter Squadron of the 56th Fighter Group who was sadly killed in a mid air collision with a P-51 being flown by F/Lt W. Zielonka of 309 (P) Squadron. F/Lt. Zielonka was able to bail out successfully even though his aircraft was cut in two. The P-47 is reported to have exploded on contact.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US 56th Fighter Group uniform set   US 56th Fighter Group uniform set  

US 56th Fighter Group uniform set   US 56th Fighter Group uniform set  

Default re: US 56th Fighter Group uniform set

A few more pictures.
    Quote by Gary Cain View Post
    I recently picked up this uniform from a local estate auction house and have recently gotten the crash report. His name was Lt. Byron J. Fisher and he was a pilot in the 61st Fighter Squadron of the 56th Fighter Group who was sadly killed in a mid air collision with a P-51 being flown by F/Lt W. Zielonka. F/Lt. Zielonka was able to bail out successfully even though his aircraft was cut in two. The P-47 is reported to have exploded on contact.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US 56th Fighter Group uniform set   US 56th Fighter Group uniform set  

?

That sir is a beautiful Officers Ike jacket. The British Guant manufactured US insignia are highly sought after. Check the prop & wings also. The 8th aircorp patch that has had bullion added to it is something I have seen as British work also. With the provenance you have that is a center piece for any WWII American collection.

Hi Steve,

Yes you are correct about it being the centerpiece. I am going to sell off a nice Ike with no provenance and keep this one. The Wing and Props are Gaunt as well(I photographed the characteristic screwback to highlight that). I am hoping to track down the consignor and see if there is anything else. I would also love to know how the set got out here of all places.

Cheers
    Gary
    Quote by SteveR View Post
    That sir is a beautiful Officers Ike jacket. The British Guant manufactured US insignia are highly sought after. Check the prop & wings also. The 8th aircorp patch that has had bullion added to it is something I have seen as British work also. With the provenance you have that is a center piece for any WWII American collection.