Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

US Army WW2 IKE Jacket w/Purple Heart Ribbon, Army Presidential Unit, 45th Inf

Article about: Hi gang, I have a question about an item on eBay I am thinking about bidding on. Specifically, the Ike jacket has a 45th Infantry badge, purple heart, and the Army Presidential Unit Citation

John Mathers
    ?

Default US Army WW2 IKE Jacket w/Purple Heart Ribbon, Army Presidential Unit, 45th Inf

Hi gang,

I have a question about an item on eBay I am thinking about bidding on. Specifically, the Ike jacket has a 45th Infantry badge, purple heart, and the Army Presidential Unit Citation. In my mind, I was thinking the Army Presidential Unit Citation was reserved for a specific unit? Or was it available to all units? Thanks for the clarification. Just want to be sure before I bid.

The item in question is here: US Army WW2 Ike Jacket w Purple Heart Ribbon Army Presidential Unit 45th Inf | eBay

Thank you for your clarification.

?

A Presidential Unit Citation. They(45th Division)would have all been awarded it.
    My uncle's was attached to the 384th Bomb Group. They were awarded it. All 4 squadrons that were attached to that group were given PUC's
    That book is on ebay as a buy it now for $60. That ike jacket is nice but not $550 nice. Maybe if it came with a duffle bag full of his full issue of uniforms . But I think that is WAY over priced. Maybe if this gent who it belong to was awarded a MOH or did something that would make him stand out among the other soldiers that "did there time" I would not pay that starting bid price.
    Just my 2 centavos on this!

Semper Fi
    Phil

Hi John - Welcome to the Forum. Perhaps you could copy
    and paste the pics here. After the auction ends, the pics
    disappear and the thread is then useless.........
    Regards,

Steve.

I agree about the price being very high. Odd that the ribbons all seem to match in age and coloring, except the Purple Heart which has yellowed. I wonder if any of the documentation confirms the award.

Modified service jacket later type with out the bi swing shoulders $550 Whoa

High John

First off the " Thunderbird" is on the right shoulder meaning former wartime service , on his left shoulder should be another SSI/patch meaning the then current unit assigned.

Also the "Thunderbird" patch has been sewn loosely on , compare to the loose individual patch and the stitching around the edge.

Now based on the right shoulder patch he would also have at least 2-4 hash marks on his left cuff meaning 1 or 2 years service minimum , this is also based on his ribbons notably EAME campaign ribbon with 2 stars (served in 2 campaigns). 45th Inf. Div served in 8 campaigns.

The Distinguished Unit Citation (Changed to PUC 1966) was awarded 7 times to individual units serving with in the division (You would have to have the individuals records to ascertain any awards).

Only members who took part in the cited action are allowed to wear the citation. Others MAY wear it when serving in the cited unit.

However there are no DUI on the shoulders to represent the regiment the individual was with.

This Ike looks to be one of a returning soldier , it lacks that pride and more detailed placement of insignia that a returning soldier would have done.

So there is a lot of unfilled blanks and nothing to go off to pay 550 for this Ike.

You would have to have the individuals name and search for his records to confirm the Ike.

Phill

The order of precedence of the ribbons are incorrect. The purple heart should be followed by the good conduct medal. The seller seems to be taking a hairl mary shot not knowing even close to relative values. The remaining items this seller has on offer is a mish mash of household goods etc, looks like a relative passed away or it was a clean out of some type. even with the balance of the book and missal ex, still perhaps severl hundred dollars over retail. These are coming up more often on ebay, im sure you will be able to do much better for your energy and dollar.