Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

USAAF B-11 jacket

Article about: Hi all, As I collect mostly post war stuff..... this jacket is not my area of collecting!!. But on my travels I occasionally come across interesting WW II items!!.. And this Jacket falls per

Default USAAF B-11 jacket

Hi all,
    As I collect mostly post war stuff..... this jacket is not my area of collecting!!.
    But on my travels I occasionally come across interesting WW II items!!..
    And this Jacket falls perfectly into that category... found in a local charity shop!!!

Its an American TYPE B-11 Flying Jacket (parka) as issued to B-17 bomber crews at the end of the war!!!
    its in well worn condition...and has only a few repairs/holes...the biggest being the hood has been removed...and turned into a collar (this has some wear bald patches)...also there are no epaulettes...but it does not seem to have any signs that any were ever fitted!!????

The original CONMAR zipper still works...but a small section of the topmost bit is missing and sewn up... it has all its buttons...some are just about to fall off!!!
    The sleeve printed ARMY AIR FORCE is still just visible... and looks as though something used to be glued over the top!!??? Bomber group patch?????
    The other sleeve has an Outward Bounds "ESKDALE" patch (I was thinking this should be removed... Maybe there is a military patch underneath!!??? so might have a sneek peek....i'm unsure what sort of damage it would leave...stich marks!!)
    There is a stamped mark inside the left pocket flap...I can just make out an "N" in a circle..(maker mark??)

The Gold on black label inside reads..

TYPE B-11
    Spec.No. 317**(folded and stitched label see pics)
    Size 44
    Stock No. 8300-54172**(as above)
    Order No. W 30-053 AC 98** (as above)
    METRO SPORTSWEAR INC
    PROPERTY
    AIR FORCES U.S. AR** (as above)

My plan for it.. is perhaps a sympathetic restoration (leaving the hood and epaulets missing...)
    any thoughts guys!!???
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture USAAF B-11 jacket   USAAF B-11 jacket  

USAAF B-11 jacket   USAAF B-11 jacket  

Nice find, I would unstitch the Eskdale badge too as it's irrelevant, doubt there will be anything underneath but not a normal find in the UK.

Very nice find. I'd take that patch off too.

CBH
    ?

I found the matching pants at a thrift store a few years ago, nice find.

Hi all..
    Just a quick update...
    I removed the Errant patch..(no... nothing nice hiding underneath!!)....repaired a few fraying holes, stitch repaired the zip, repaired the peg hanger and liner at the collar....and finally... re-stitched two loose and one about to fall off button...
    ohh, and cleaned all the dried leaves and bits of twig (plus a foil fragment of some prawn baked snack) and fluff from all the pockets...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture USAAF B-11 jacket   USAAF B-11 jacket  

Nice, what you pay for it ???

Excellent find. Looks to be in decent condition - Congrats.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Thanks guys for the positive comments!!!

I paid perhaps quite a bit more than what its worth in its present condition!!......as ...... at £65 the charity shop knew exactly what it was!!!!...... but as I see it......its still a Genuine WW II relic....even with its missing hood and epaulettes issues......and makes a pretty cool, useable and wearable jacket!! a repro B11 jacket would be far more expensive!!! and lack all the character that this Jacket has... in bags!!!
    Also if it were too nice ...it would get hidden away in storage, and I would be too scared to ruin it!!!

Plus... in the long run... as a frequent customer ....the repeat custom, from said charity shop has already paid its dividends .... (ahhhh.... its the army coat guy!!!! I have something interesting... that I kept back for you to see!!!)
    one set of Russian army issue Night vision goggles in perfect working order for ...£10....
    I cant argue with that!!!....so im happy!!!

?

Great jacket in a better size. Rich A. in Pa.
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

Thanks Rich A. even though its size on the label is 44.....it may well have been modified!!??? as im a size 40/42 and it fits me very snug!!.... with just a "T" shirt.........the elastic in the back could have been replaced?? as any of the slack is taken up with it very strongly...not what I would expect from a 70+ year old Jacket!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast