Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Usaaf uniform question

Article about: Hello & Happy New Year, I was wondering if anyone can explain to me how the US Army Air Forces in WW2 wore their unit patches on their service and dress uniforms. I see every variation i

Default Usaaf uniform question

Hello & Happy New Year,
    I was wondering if anyone can explain to me how the US Army Air Forces in WW2 wore their unit patches on their service and dress uniforms. I see every variation imaginable...Air Corps patch on both left & right sides and the same with unit patches.

My question is what is correct? I know things were a lot looser back then but just by looking at period photos I cant figure out what goes where.
    Many thanks for your assistance,
    Vince
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Usaaf uniform question   Usaaf uniform question  

Actually the Unit Patch on the right side was for combat service with that Unit at some point, the one on the left side is for current Unit of service.

Thank you makes sense.

?

So sftrooper86, Are those your AAF uniforms???

If so please post some pic's of them. I'm a major AAF fan.

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Quote by sargetom View Post
    Actually the Unit Patch on the right side was for combat service with that Unit at some point, the one on the left side is for current Unit of service.
    Agree, as it still holds true today in the Army, it's called your "combat patch."... If you were in the Air Force and a TACP back in the day, wearing the old school BDU's you also wore the same Army configuration on your AF uniform - as you worked in an Army unit... That "was" the only Air Force AFSC (job) that was allowed to wear this patch configuration. Today, Im not sure what the regs are. The new ABU uniform and multi-cam are different....

Default Uniforms

Hello Phil,
    No but I am putting mine together and will be happy to post some pics very soon. For now here is my Grandfather's Ike.
    Semper Fi,
    Vince
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Usaaf uniform question   Usaaf uniform question  

Usaaf uniform question  

Hi Vince,
    Great job on your grandfathers uniform but the ribbons are out of order. They need to be changed to this;

Top to bottom / left to right
    1. Good Conduct
    2. Asiatic Pacific Campaign ( upside down in picture, blue, white, red center stripes and points of stars straight up )
    3. European / African / Middle Eastern Campaign
    4. WWII Victory

I hope this helps

Burt

Hi Bert,
    Thanks for the info on the ribbons. I know they are not in proper order but that is how he wore them so I will leave it as is. I have seen this before on other ribbon bars, hard to say what was most important to him? To bad I can't ask him!
    All the best,
    Vince

A great tribute to your Grandfather.

Regards

Martin