Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

USMC Col. Ernest Brydon - Restored Uniform Grouping

Article about: That would be great to hear his story. Sounds like he was a real home town hero. I'm originally from Philly, Uncle Sam's Misguided Children brought me out here to AZ years ago and I decided

?

Default USMC Col. Ernest Brydon - Restored Uniform Grouping

Back in September I walked into one of my regular haunts and my eyes were immediately drawn to a USMC Officer's cover sitting in the display case. Did some talking with the shop owner and was told their local picker brought it in.

Included with the visor was a dress sword sling and a boxed officer's belt with "For Col Brydon" written on the box. No calling card in the cover and it was devoid of its EGA.

I purchased these items and researched Brydon, whom I found out lived in the area and passed away in March of 2011. During my research, I found that the majority of his military estate was sold on EBay in December of 2011. If interested, here is a link to screenshots of what was sold:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/foru...9249&hl=brydon

I posted the items I acquired on USMF and shortly thereafter was contacted by a forum member who had purchased Brydon's High Collar Dress white's and Evening Mess Dress uniforms. He intended to restore them and even had a copy of Brydon's record, however unfortunately had trouble nailing down his ribbon rack so never went through with the restoration. He gladly sold me the uniforms so they could be repatriated with the visor.

After reviewing Brydon’s record, and with a lot of help from the gentleman I purchased the uniforms from, I felt I was able to nail down what would have been included and began the restoration.

Before getting to the uniform, though, I thought I would share some bits of information acquired online and from Brydon’s file that provide an insight to a proud career in the Marines.

First up are some online obituaries fro Col. Brydon:

http://aheros-welcome.org/blog/2011/...s-m-c-retired/

“Short Service History:
    Retired over 30 years.
    Joined 1942 Private Scout Sniper
    W.W. II: Pacific / Guam, Bouganville plus others
    Korea: Wounded twice; Field promotion from Platoon Sgt. to 2nd LT Company Commander (D 2/1) because they were being over run and all those Sr to him had been killed.
    1953-54 Chesty Puller’s personal Staff
    1968: Awarded Outstanding Battalion Commander by Commandant of the Marine Corps while serving as CO 3/14 Phila.

Among other awards Jumped with and received Wings from: 101st Airborne (Master Paratrooper Wings), Israel, South Africa, Chinese, Russia, North Vietnamese, French, English, Dutch, Polish, Turkish, and Jordanian.”

http://www.montgomerynews.com/articl...c386135636.txt

“Col. Brydon enlisted in the United States Marine Corps in 1942 as a scout sniper. He started out as private and rose to the rank of full-bird colonel.

He served in the 3rd Marine Division during World War II, participating in the Bougainville, Emirau and Guam campaigns and receiving a battlefield commission for meritorious service.

When the Korean War broke out, Col. Brydon, a second lieutenant at the time, became a company commander in the 1st Marine Division. He was wounded twice.

After the Korean conflict, Col. Brydon served in staff and command groups in the Marine Corps Reserve. He was given the Outstanding Battalion Commander Award for his reserve service by the commandant of the Marine Corps in 1968.

He also became a parachutist and jumped in more than 30 countries worldwide.”

http://chestnuthilllocal.com/blog/20...arine-colonel/

“Mr. Brydon enlisted in the Marines in 1942 and saw combat during World War II in the Bougainville, Emirau and Guam campaigns in the Pacific theater. He received a battlefield commission for meritorious service.

He served in the Korean War as a company commander in the 1st Marine Division, and was wounded twice. He was awarded Outstanding Battalion Commander in 1968.

Mr. Brydon later became a Paramarine, jumping in 30 countries, and attended Airborne School, Special Forces School, Amphibious Warfare School, Command and Staff College, Jumpmaster School, Underwater Rescue Service, and completed combat medical training.”

Below is a more recent photo of Brydon from his Obit, a photo of Brydon from the 1950 Temple University Yearbook and lastly, a photo of Brydon from his service file.

Now some documentation on Brydon's service:

I was unable to find Brydon in any muster rolls during WWII. Earliest muster roll is July 1950. Below are the two muster rolls from when he received wounds in Korea. First from 6 July 1951 and second from 16 September 1951.

Listing of completed training during his service

Brydon’s awards and decorations

Navy Commendation Letter

?

Default Re: USMC Col. Ernest Brydon - Restored Uniform Grouping

Now onto his uniform. The first two photos are from when I originally acquired his visor. The remaining four are after completion of the restoration. You may also notice the ribbon rack in the close-up differs from the full uniform shot; this is due to an incorrect ribbon placed on the rack which was correct later. The close-up is the correct version. Not included is a photo of the label in the uniform which identifies it to Brydon when he was a Major.

Everything acquired for the restoration is period to 1960's (this is when I would date the uniform and cover).

The ribbons are of the crimp back variety with appropriate 1-piece clutch back ribbon holder. The collar and cover EGA's are the 62 pattern and marked sterling. The Col. rank insignia, Rifle Expert badge & Pistol Expert badge are all marked 1/20 silver filled and lastly, the Navy Parachutist wing is marked 1/20 10kt gold filled.

?

A beautiful uniform and hat a great group

?

Very nice grouping. And good on you to get the uniform back together.

Great looking group, and it's good that you have re-united
    these parts of the set. One question - does the U.S. Navy
    require a star device on the PH Medal instead of an
    Oakleaf Cluster indicating two wounds.........?
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Thanks for the kind words, gentlemen!

@ Steve - Yes, this is correct. Navy regualtions require a star device to denote additional awards for the PH as well as for other medalas. See below for further explanation:

5/16 inch star - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A gorgeous set. Glad you were able to grab it an restore it. I'm sure it was tedious work but very rewarding. Good job!

?

Quote by helmetone View Post
    A gorgeous set. Glad you were able to grab it an restore it. I'm sure it was tedious work but very rewarding. Good job!
    Thank you, sir! IT was quite the task, that's for sure, but I'm of course extremely happy with the end result!

?

That is an outstanding collection of a Mustang officer who also served with Chesty to boot!!! It would be awesome if you could find his mameluke sword to add to that great set you have!!!
    Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Thanks, Phil! Brydon certainly did have a distinguished career in the Marines. After his service, he was a volunteer Fireman in Montgomery County (county I currently live in).

He also regularly did talks about his military career at local libraries and other venues in the area. I'm in touch with one of the gentlemen who ran coordinated these talks and he has a video interview with Brydon. He's transferring it from 8mm to DVD and is going to provide me with a copy, so I'm looking forward to that.

As for Brydon's sword, I'd love to repatriate it with his uniform. Sadly, all of his items were auctioned off or sold offline in pieces.

Maybe one day it will surface?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast