Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

USMC Marine Detachment Uniform

Article about: I was hoping to receive some input on this USMC jacket. What are your thoughts on the potential for its originality? In searching through Ancestry I was able to find a Donald A Nelson who en

Default USMC Marine Detachment Uniform

I was hoping to receive some input on this USMC jacket. What are your thoughts on the potential for its originality?

In searching through Ancestry I was able to find a Donald A Nelson who enlisted in April 1942 and in October 1942 shows up on a muster roll aboard the USS New Orleans as a Marine Detachment with the rank of Private. Throughout 1943 he shows up on the Muster Rolls aboard the same ship but as Pfc - as is this uniform. In 1944 he shows up on the same ship but progresses as a Corporal and then a Sergeant - a rank he retains until he returns stateside in July 1945.

Would it have made sense for him to be discharged and still retain his jacket patched as a Pfc. with his ribbon bar and applied a ruptured duck? I would think a jacket patched as a Sgt. would be the one he would wear home. This is assuming I've found the correct D.A. Nelson - I did not find another D.A. Nelson variant on the muster rolls during WW2.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.JPG 
Views:	85 
Size:	302.6 KB 
ID:	764023

Name:	2.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	310.2 KB 
ID:	764022

Name:	3.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	764024

Name:	4.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	276.7 KB 
ID:	764025

?

Looks ok. Rich A. in Pa.
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

?

can we get a photo of the shoulder straps

Thank you for your input Rich.

RH1941 - I can engage the seller to try and get some pictures of the shoulder straps. Is there something in particular I should be looking for? Sorry for my ignorance but I'm new to USMC items.

?

On WWII jackets just before the strap you will see an X stitched on the shoulder. You can kind of see it on this one
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WWII Navy 011.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	241.2 KB 
ID:	764169  

Gotcha! Thanks for the insight.

What are your thoughts on the originality of attached items to the tunic?

He has a 6th marine uniform that I'm suspicious of, more so than this one, so I'm probably looking at this one with an over-critical eye.

My concern with the other uniform is not that the items are not period but rather that is was put together. i.e. it's a named 6th Marine Division Pfc. with a 3 place ribbon bar with only American Campaign, American Defense & WW2 Victory.

Maybe I'm wrong but that seems like a strange combination for a 6th Marine Division uniform for a Pfc.

?

You never know . Sometimes the family finds a ribbon bar and just throws it on . I can't count how many times I've seen a jacket with all mismatched ribbons and collar brass that the seller swears up and down that It's just the way the vet had it .

Good point. I didn't mean to impugn the seller. He indicated he received both as is and I have no reason to not believe him. I was just questioning the "correctness" and trying to learn a bit myself. The more you learn the more you also learn this hobby can be a minefield at times.

I suppose it's also entirely possible the uniform above could have traded hands again during the war. The last individual named on the jacket may not have been the last owner.
    Last edited by aurelius180; 11-14-2014 at 12:58 AM.

Just to complete the thread I wanted to update and say that I did purchase the above jacket and pants this evening. It's a Christmas present that my wife will be giving to me this year.

Thank you for your help! Much appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast