Become our sponsor and display your banner here

USMC Poncho

Article about: WWII USMC Poncho named to a Bruce A Smith. SN -233114. I have not been able to find any information on him. The poncho overall is in great shape all hardware has original finish only one but

Default USMC Poncho

WWII USMC Poncho named to a Bruce A Smith. SN -233114. I have not been able to find any information on him. The poncho overall is in great shape all hardware has original finish only one button is slightly separating, and a few little spots on the "Beach" side.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	USMC3.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	160.5 KB 
ID:	405741

Name:	USMC2.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	133.4 KB 
ID:	405740

Name:	usmc1.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	131.3 KB 
ID:	405739

Name:	USMC6.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	153.7 KB 
ID:	405744

Name:	USMC5.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	405743
    Name:  USMC7.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  67.8 KB

Name:	usmc.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	182.2 KB 
ID:	405738

Name:	USMC4.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	101.7 KB 
ID:	405742

Default Re: USMC Poncho

Good item.

I used to own one back in the 1980's.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

From what I understand, these ponchos are pretty easy to find and not overly expensive. Is this correct?

If so, I'm surprised people haven't started cutting them up into helmet covers to turn a profit.

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    From what I understand, these ponchos are pretty easy to find and not overly expensive. Is this correct?

If so, I'm surprised people haven't started cutting them up into helmet covers to turn a profit.
    One they are not that cheap they run around 100$ (cheaper than a cover) though), if you look you can find them for a bout 75$. Two they are completely different material so they would easily be distinguished from an original and would be hard to make a "field made" cover since it is a stiff fabric that would tear easily if folded like a helmet cover.
    I know a few people who have done this with ponchos that are in bad shape for reenacating and they did not hold up well, and it bothered me that they ruined them...

?

Remember the Marines used these after WWII so the name may belong to someone from Korea or later. When I reported to my reserve center after my active duty service, I was shocked to see WWII shelter halves in the supply room. And this was in 1984! Some Marines were issued them and were still using them in 85 & 86. Plus, we still had the "buttons or snaps" problem to worry about! Sometime in the late 80's, all the WWII shelter halves disappeared. Wish I had them...

Mike

P.S. We did have the new ponchos, not the WWII type like your's.

It would have been cool if you could have grabbed a few of the camo shelter halves those are hard to find and expensive!!!
    And I think the SN would have been war time due to its lower number?

?

Quote by AmericanKraut View Post
    It would have been cool if you could have grabbed a few of the camo shelter halves those are hard to find and expensive!!!
    And I think the SN would have been war time due to its lower number?
    I thought about it! If I would have been issued one of the camo shelter halves, I would have bought a new green one at the surplus store & swapped them out.

You're probably right about the serial number, I didn't think about that...

Mike