Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

USN Jumper - Pre War?

Article about: by Wagriff Yep...that would be him. Either a mispelling of his born name or it could be his actual given name itself. You see this often, when a foreign born person dies, they publish his or

Default USN Jumper - Pre War?

Picked up this Seaman 1c Navy jumper, the other day, assuming it was WWII or later dated. On closer inspection, I’m not so sure that it is not pre-WWII, I just don’t have the knowledge or reference materials to say so for sure. Can’t find diddly on the internet to nail it down conclusively so I figured I’d as the experts!

Not great photos but I think I have shown enough to date the jumper. It is made of HEAVY HEAVY wool and the one thing that makes me think pre WWII is the waist drawstring, which I believe was done away with in 1941. Not sure of the label provides a clue.

We’ve got a few other WWII or later period jumpers and none of them have this feature. I don’t think the WWII period, and later, jumpers were made of wool material quite this heavy either, none of our other jumpers are.

USN Jumper - Pre War?

USN Jumper - Pre War?

USN Jumper - Pre War?

USN Jumper - Pre War?

Any ideas?

Russ & Son

Default Re: USN Jumper - Pre War?

I would say early ww2 because of the strings but as you said could be earlier. Is there a readable name on the tag?

Jason

Thanks for the response Jason. It was the draw strings that lead me to belive it was pre-war, thought they did away with them in 1941 but I don't have anything to back that up. I know the other WWII (or say I am assuming the vintage) jumpers I have do not have the draw string.

Yes, a name is stenciled on the inside as well as written on the name tag. Name of the sailor is T. W. Rauhala. I haven't checked yet to see of that name shows up in the National Archives yet.

Thanks again for the input....

Russ

Russ,
    I have some of these jumper with the strings and you are correct with the dating. These were probably around early in the war until supplies ran out.
    Will check the name and see if he shows up on any muster rolls.
    Could ony find him on muster rolls in 1945, but not sure when he actually when in to the navy.

Toive Wilbert Rauhala
    Military: 30 Sep 1945

Toivo W Rauhala
    Ship, Station or Activity: PC 619
    Ship Number or Designation: PC 619
    Muster Date: 31 May 1945

Name: Toivo W Rauhala
    Military: 31 May 1945

PreviewName: Toivo W Rauhala
    Ship, Station or Activity: PC 619
    Ship Number or Designation: PC 619
    Muster Date: 30 Jun 1945

Name: Toivo W Rauhala
    Military: 30 Jun 1945

Name: Tovio Wilbert Rauhala
    Military: 1 Dec 1945

Jason

Thanks for the info Jason....

Finnish name it appears, sank a U-Boat too, it looks like, assuming he was on board the PC 619 at the time. The jumper is in great shape no mothing, no tears, wears or any other sort of damage. Will have to find a home for it in the closet along with the rest I guess.

Russ

Jason, I don't know if you took the time but if you have not, you might want to check the history of PC 619. Quite the busy little boat during the closing years of WWII. Looks like Seaman Rauhala was aboard for at least some of it's action, including the downing of a German Heinkel HE-177 and the crew took part in the French Victory Parade on V-E Day! PC 619 sunk a U-Boat as well it appears but the navy rolls you found do not date him as being on the ship at that time, although I'm sure he could have been.

Thanks for digging that up, the kid is going to like this story when he gets home.

Russ

His rank in May of 45 was Seaman 1st Class, so he, presumably, had been in awhile by that point. At any rate, it looks like he died in Painesville, Ohio on 13 Jul 1998. He was 91 years old! William
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    , it looks like he died in Painesville, Ohio on 13 Jul 1998. He was 91 years old! William
    William, I found an Ohio obit, with the same date but first name of "Tauno".

Yep...that would be him. Either a mispelling of his born name or it could be his actual given name itself. You see this often, when a foreign born person dies, they publish his original name, is all. William
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Very cool piece of history!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast