Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Very Merry 8th AAF Christmas

Article about: I just wanted to share two nice 8th AAF tunics that my wonderful wive got me for Christmas. She was even kind enough to give them to me a little early. Both came from a very reputable dealer

Default Very Merry 8th AAF Christmas

I just wanted to share two nice 8th AAF tunics that my wonderful wive got me for Christmas. She was even kind enough to give them to me a little early.

Both came from a very reputable dealer but any comments are certainly welcome.

First up is a 1LT summer weight tunic. Unfortunately only a last name and laundry number are present but I'm going to see what I can do about research anyway. The last name "Raynes" and laundry number "R4739" are written in the inside, upper right sleeve around the shoulder. The inner breast pocket has a tag for name, serial number, etc. but this gentleman did not see fit to use it. My loss.

The bombardier wings and ribbon bar are clutch back.

Last edited by aurelius180; 12-15-2014 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Incorrectly listed bombardier wings as aerial gunner.

MAP
    ?

Nice!!!!!

Michael

BTW....I see your wife is like mine! Great when they think like this. A keeper!!!!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Next up is my first blue backed combat wing tunic. This is very large size 44R early dated tunic to 1941. This gentleman was awarded a Purple Heart but unfortunately I've not been able to find a name in the tunic other than the initials "D.W.S."

In the pocket is a military issue copy of the Old Testament with multiple places for the owner to write their name...but nothing.

The ribbon bar is a Tinnerman clutch back and there is also a rifle marksmanship award.

Last edited by aurelius180; 12-17-2014 at 02:45 AM.

Quote by MAP View Post
    Nice!!!!!

Michael

BTW....I see your wife is like mine! Great when they think like this. A keeper!!!!
    Thanks!!

Yes! She's also very supportive of this hobby! I very much appreciate her.

My avatar is from my first uniform (an Ike) which was a Christmas gift from her 2 years ago. That's when I really starting to get into collecting and she jump started it that Christmas.

MAP
    ?

Quote by aurelius180 View Post
    Thanks!!

Yes! She's also very supportive of this hobby! I very much appreciate her.

My avatar is from my first uniform (an Ike) which was a Christmas gift from her 2 years ago. That's when I really starting to get into collecting and she jump started it that Christmas.
    Awesome. It's wonderful when you have someone that supports your hobby. Nice that she can even pick out great items

M
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Those are not gunner wings on the first uniform, they are bombardier wings. Nice uniforms, congrats.

Quote by rob214 View Post
    Those are not gunner wings on the first uniform, they are bombardier wings. Nice uniforms, congrats.
    You are correct and they were listed for sale as such. I don't know why I wrote aerial gunner. Thank you for the correction!

Quote by MAP View Post
    Awesome. It's wonderful when you have someone that supports your hobby. Nice that she can even pick out great items

M

She did have a little help but she does have a great eye for it.

She is also kind enough to let me have my own room for it. Although it's turning out to be a favorite of hers as well. I received my first four torso mannequins Friday and have five more coming this week so that I can finally display my uniforms. I look forward to posting to the Collections display forum next week.

I'm bumping this thread because I have an awesome update. I've finally been able to identify the original owner of the summer tan 8th AAF coat. In the past 5+ years I've hit only dead ends on the name and partial serial number in the coat but now AAF award cards are searchable online. I was able to pin this down to Clayton D Raynes who was an early member of the 8th AAF. I'm so happy to have a name and research possibilities!

Here is a link to the site:

https://catalog.archives.gov/advancedsearch

I search by entering the following:

or:

Then Sort by List:

The list should be (mostly) in alphabetical order and find the grouping that has the last name you're searching.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast