Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Were the USMC Pilot uniforms the same as the infantry/ground forces uniforms?

Article about: I recently went to an auction and purchased the ribbon bars, Captians shoulder bars, USMC collar insignia, and small Captains bars for the overseas cap from a USMC in WWII who was a pilot wi

Default Were the USMC Pilot uniforms the same as the infantry/ground forces uniforms?

I recently went to an auction and purchased the ribbon bars, Captians shoulder bars, USMC collar insignia, and small Captains bars for the overseas cap from a USMC in WWII who was a pilot with the Navy. My question: Can I get any USMC tunic and put the bars, rank, etc onto the uniform, OR is the USMC Pilot uniform different from the ground troops uniforms (different color green, different buttons, etc)? Thanks in advance for any help! This guy had the Air Medal with star, Distinguished Flying Cross with star, Navy Presidential unit citation with star, and the other 'regulars' (victory, asiatic-pacific, etc). The only thing not in the lot was the WINGS!! I guess they kept those or they got lost through the years. Were the USMC Pilot uniforms the same as the infantry/ground forces uniforms?

One more question: What is the ribbon bar for in the middle of the center (green center with star)??

Quote by excalibr View Post
    One more question: What is the ribbon bar for in the middle of the center (green center with star)??
    It's the Navy Unit Commendation. Bronze stars denoted subsequent awards; a silver star was worn in lieu of five bronze stars. By the way, that bar is upside down.

Thank you! Apologies for the bar being upside down. It was around one in the morning and I was rushing to get this thread listed. Do you know anything about the uniform/tunic? I'm definately not going to break up this set of insignia. I know the tunic I get may not be original to the original owner, but at least the insignia will be matched. I just wish I had more info on these...a name...a unit...anything! I only have the insignia.

Quote by excalibr View Post
    Do you know anything about the uniform/tunic?
    This is way outside my area of expertise, so you'd better wait for other, more knowledgeable, members to chime in.

(However, given the USMC's special sense of identity and esprit de corps, I would be very much surprised if there were any special uniform distinctions for aviators beyond their pilot wings.)

Marine Corps pilots wore the same service uniforms as ground units, the only difference was Navy style pilot badge worn above ribbons.