Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

What British units would still be using Service Dress after 1942

Article about: Hello all, as the title say's I been trying to work out what units would still be using Service Dress after 1942 (OR'S), the CMP are an obvious one, RASC and Guardsmen maybe, anyone have any

?

Default What British units would still be using Service Dress after 1942

Hello all, as the title say's I been trying to work out what units would still be using Service Dress after 1942 (OR'S), the CMP are an obvious one, RASC and Guardsmen maybe, anyone have any answers to this.
    I have a couple of 22ptn tunics one of them is unissued and I would like to have badged it up. I have done a lot of research about a Battalion from the Royal Sussex Regiment during 1940, all the bandsmen ( stretcher bearers ) were issued with the Service Dress at that time, so I could use that, but as the tunic is dated 1942 I was thinking of using a unit that was still using it after this date.

Cheers all, Barrie.

7th Royal Sussex Regt during 1940

Default Re: What British units would still be using Service Dress after 1942

Hi Barrie, welcome to the forum!

You have pretty much got it covered.

Bandsmans were still being issued SD during the war so that would be a good solution.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Cheers Ade, think I will sit on it and leave alone for the time being.

Royal Artllery & RASC mounted troops used it during WWII, & RAVC.
    I think Bands lost SD durng the war but got it back in 1945. SD which had been issued could be used for walking out & for ceremonial duties, but this was'nt mantained as a practise due to wartime economy measures.The Army Apprentice School (formed 1947?) wore it post WW too.

Funny you say yours is 1942. You come across that date often in these. I bought a job lot of P22's a few years ago and they were all 1942. That's also the year the economy version was introduced with the unpleated pockets.
    I do wonder that so many people were still using these in 1942 that it warranted an economy version.

There's also variants within the economy versions. I have one with buttons to lower pockets but no rifle patches, another without lower buttons but with rifle patches. Both dated '42 I think.
    I'd like to badge at least one up as something, not sure what is suitable though.

I noticed two recently for sale on ebay and both were the economy versions, though I can't remember the dates, 42 or 43 I think for both of them and neither looked to have been issued.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I have two WW2 Service Dress jackets that are badged with wartime insignia. One is Royal Artillery (economy pattern) and the other is Royal Horse Guards (regular cut with the collar modified to a stand collar). So insignia for these units would be OK for you.

Rob