Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

what uniform is this?

Article about: Can anybody put me out of my misery with this one?

Default what uniform is this?

Can anybody put me out of my misery with this one?
    what uniform is this?

Well, it's a bit of a punt but the cap badge looks very much to me like The Manchester Regt badge that was not at all popular with the troops as it was pretty much the Manchester Corporation crest and was known as the "bus conductor badge". So, as the uniform does not look totally military I wondered if there might be something in the bus conductor thing.

Here are a couple of pics of Manchester Tram / bus drivers. No overcoat but the badge outline, white topped hat and shade of shirt and tie all seem to fit. What do you reckon?

what uniform is this?what uniform is this?

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 07-14-2016 at 11:21 AM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Mark, many thanks just the pointer needed!
    looks good to me:

Manchester Corporation Tramways trolley boy circa 1930
    what uniform is this?

You are welcome mate, it is so frustrating trying to identify something like this.

It wasn't exactly a "quantum leap" for me as I am a "Manc" myself and remember many tales of "Trams and sh**t" from my forebears. Plus I think I would probably recognise that coat of arms in the dark even though I left to follow the colours when I was sixteen and have hardly been back!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."