Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Would leather/shearing B-1 trouser be acceptable?

Article about: Hello Gent's I want to get a B-17 Bomber crew display started. I was wondering if the leather/shearing B-1 mechanices trousers would be acceptable for this purpose?. So please share your tho

?

Default Would leather/shearing B-1 trouser be acceptable?

Hello Gent's

I want to get a B-17 Bomber crew display started.

I was wondering if the leather/shearing B-1 mechanices trousers would be acceptable for this purpose?

I found a pair and they look good. The fly zipper is broken. I was told the stains on the front are dried mud.
    Would  leather/shearing B-1 trouser be acceptable?

So please share your thoughts.

Thanks

Semper Fi

Phil
    Last edited by AZPhil; 05-19-2020 at 04:59 PM.

CBH
    ?

These can become very brittle if the leather dries out, I have a pair in worse condition and they almost crack.
    Just a Caveat Emptor. I have a fabric pair in great shape but the shipping might be expensive.

?

Yeah I have seen other pairs and know what you are talking about. They say these were stored in an Attic...

My main concern is I don't want mechanics pants, But if they were worn by Bomber crews I will add them. The Price Is Right!!
    In my copy of GEAR UP it mentions that these "PROBABLY" made it on to Bomber flights.

But I'm not finding evidence of it.

And that why I'm asking here.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Hi Phil, I'm sorry I don't have anything concrete to contribute. Its almost certain that some flyers wore these- it is known that the D1 jackets were worn in the air and it would be very surprising if the trousers never were. If they were worn on bombers, they would have to have been worn by crew in less exposed area of the aircraft as these trousers are thinner than their A3 (and others types) counterparts. However, how often they were used is probably unknowable unless you can find lots of period photos showing them in use, which I cant, and I have a collection of such pictures. Of course, it can often be difficult to tell which type is being worn. If it was me, I would hold out for a pair of A3 trousers. I got mine very cheaply a few years ago with corroded/disintigrated zips and replaced the zips- you can get very good matching ones on ebay. Just my thoughts.

?

Thanks Doug,
    I think I'll take your advise and skip these. I didn't know about the thickness or thinness part.
    The Do I, Don't I, Do I, Dont I, was killing me!!!
    I feel better now
    Thanks again.

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

If the price is good, it’s always worth considering a ground crew collection too!
    Can’t overlook, or overstate the importance of, these fellas!

Cheers,
    Bob