Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WRAC uniform 70's - 90's

Article about: Good afternoon folks, Not being a uniform collector I need a little asstiance here if anyone can oblige. As is often the case with many a militaria collector I have been lured off at a tange

Default WRAC uniform 70's - 90's

Good afternoon folks,

Not being a uniform collector I need a little asstiance here if anyone can oblige.

As is often the case with many a militaria collector I have been lured off at a tangent to a subject not part of my core intrests.

Sorting my British cap badge collection I noted that the ATS / WRAC was under represented. So, I took steps to add to my WWII KC ATS and post war WRAC staybright with KC & QC bi-metal badges then KC & QC officers gilt items but should have known it wouldn't stop there.

After an indepth conversation with a fellow collector for some reason I set about finding a 70's - 90's green WRAC N02 dress. So, began a project and I settled on the officer pattern as subject. I have managed to source a jacket and skirt plus I am sure I have a shirt somewhere in an old box in the attic. What I am struggling to find is a Tab Tie and an officers hat (plain green not field officer type with braid). Now I recall my female colleagues hated the Tab Tie and would allways wear the barrack dress green braided tie similar to the khaki one us bloke wore and most of them actually threw the tabs away so they could have an excuse if challenged (this only ever happened when we were visited by high ranking WRAC pers as male Sgt Maj types much preferred to see them with "proper" ties) so I guess not many have survived. Also I have seen many dealers at shows with WRAC or's hats which would pass as the only real difference is that officers ones were usually private purchase and named for military tailors. However, I can't find a single one on the web (except those marked as already sold), so if anyone here can point me in the right direction I should be most grateful.

I attach a pic of the uniform pattern but this was the only one I could find, it is without hat and unbelievably features the braid tie I describe above which shows just how prevalent this was!

WRAC uniform 70's - 90's

Of course I will show the full uniform here when complete.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Hi Mark, just showed you post to my wife Lez, "Larissa" here on the forum.

She is ex WRAC.

She remembers the tab ties. She cannot recall any real difference between OR's and Officers caps besides the quality.

If we see one, we will drop you a line.

Cheers, Ade & Lez.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Mark, just showed you post to my wife Lez, "Larissa" here on the forum.
    She is ex WRAC.
    She remembers the tab ties. She cannot recall any real difference between OR's and Officers caps besides the quality.
    If we see one, we will drop you a line.Cheers, Ade & Lez.
    Thanks I appreciate that,

I have been wracking my brains (no pun intended!) over this and I recall that the cap badge as issued was of course different in that it was a gilt bi-metal piece with lugs rather than slider but that many officers wore the OR's anodised aluminium version for economy (for those who don't know British commisioned officers get an allowance and have to buy most of their kit whilst OR's get kit issued from stores) in everyday dress. The chinstrap I seem to remember was the same pattern as OR's but was patent leather rather than plastic but again the plastic one was commonplace with officers below field rank. None of this should be too difficult to put together even if I go for the full "officer" pattern. It is the bloody tab tie that will be a problem I feel.

I forgot to metion but I believe the black gloves and handbag were the same for both OR's and officers save that some officers wore private purchase gloves (never saw a genuine leather bag only the Govt issue type).

I still don't know exactly why I have begun this. Maybe it is the challenge of garnering something that seems to be getting more rare coupled with the fact that items from my own service period are now within the "historical / collectible" range!!

Or maybe it's just that militaria collectors are plain weird and given to such almost obsessional fancies? Like that itch that you just have to scratch!

Any help will be gratefully received.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Interesting thread. I am a big fan of WAAC, QMAAC, ATS, and WRAC, but only insignia. After downsizing, no more room for uniforms except the British red I have. If I see one, I too will let you know. I also collect anything FANY and Home Guard.

Terry