Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Britiish Leather Jerkin Help!!

Article about: Hi all, i purchased a WW2 leather jerkin recently however it does not match others which i have seen, i understand these were worn for warmed however this one is unlined and instead of a man

Default WW2 Britiish Leather Jerkin Help!!

Hi all, i purchased a WW2 leather jerkin recently however it does not match others which i have seen, i understand these were worn for warmth however this one is unlined and instead of a manufacturers label it is stamped C L A and dated 1941 with what looks to be a size number 2, is this common on leather jerkins? it also has 7 buttons rather than the more commonly seen 4 or 5, is it military or possibly woman's land army issue? were leather jerkins issued to specific areas of the army or could anyone wear them? and what was the purpose of wearing them?

Any help would be very much appreciated

Many thanks

Harry

WW2 Britiish Leather Jerkin Help!!WW2 Britiish Leather Jerkin Help!!WW2 Britiish Leather Jerkin Help!!

fairly sure it is a jerkin made in India, John

Quote by Blackpowder44 View Post
    fairly sure it is a jerkin made in India, John
    It matches the one you showed previously John. Agreed it is an Indian made example.

The British Leather Jerkin
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I am not expert on these but that one somehow doesn't look like the issue military ones to me. The cut and style seems odd. For reference this item is once more issues to British troops but is now made of synthetic material. The main point to note is that they are not cold weather garments although this can be a happy side effect. They are actually hard wearing "overall" type garments which have been issued to artillery gun numbers, drivers etc to protect the uniform from the rigours of work with heavy equipment.
    The pics are of an original type and a modern version

WW2 Britiish Leather Jerkin Help!!WW2 Britiish Leather Jerkin Help!!

Regards

Mark

It is clearly not the same as the British made pattern, but I would be happy that the one shown is a wartime Indian made piece for Army use.

Thanks for the help, nice to know is is genuine, it is a shame it is of Indian manufacture as i wanted to put it on a British ETO display.

Many Thanks

Harry