MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 RAF boots

Article about: I want to sell my father's boots to a collector as they are no use to me. They have not been worn since 1945. I have no idea what they are worth if anything. I look forward to any help. I ha

tisratil
    ?

Default WW2 RAF boots

I want to sell my father's boots to a collector as they are no use to me. They have not been worn since 1945. I have no idea what they are worth if anything. I look forward to any help. I have alll his medals as well.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 RAF boots   WW2 RAF boots  

Default Re: WW2 RAF boots

The boots go for between 80-120 Pounds Sterling. You're not selling your dads medals are you?

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

tisratil
    ?

thanks for your help. Ill keep his medals for now as they are easy to store. . I have his flying log books which are fascinating - especially his comments and little drawings . I wouldnt want to part with those either. How do I go about finding a buyer for the boots?

I am certain these are actually the post war version of the 1943 pattern "escape boots". You will see how the botton half of the boot looks like a conventional civvy shoe. This enabled the top half to be cut away in the event of the airman being shot down behind enemy lines and become an evader, so then the boots would just look like a pair of black shoes.

Wartime examples had a sheepskin lined top with a front zip fastener. The only pair I have seen like these shown were being sold as 1950's versions. Take a look here:

Aviation Clothing, Flying Jackets, Flying Suits, Flying Boots - British

Cheers, Ade.

tisratil
    ?

yes thats the sort. He did have a spell in the RAF after the war in Malaysia so they probably date from then rather than the 40s as I thought.

Thanks for the confirmation, it does make sense.

Sounds like he had an interesting career.

You are welcome to list the boots in our free classified adverts section.

Cheers, Ade.

jonwilkes
    ?

Hello, I wondered if the boots are still for sale? I am working on a art project at Croome Court (https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/croome/) where I am going to use a pair of RAF boots, modifying them to hold items to help an airman to evade the enemy, if his plane be shot down. You can contact me on this site or my email is jonwilkes@outlook.com. Thank you.