Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW2 RAF jacket

Article about: Im trying to research the individual that this jacket belonged to. Inside the waistcoat that goes with the uniform is marked: T.R.T.CARR-ELLISON. From doing a bit of research i can find that

Default WW2 RAF jacket

Im trying to research the individual that this jacket belonged to. Inside the waistcoat that goes with the uniform is marked: T.R.T.CARR-ELLISON.

From doing a bit of research i can find that he was a member of 607 squadron, was granted a commission as Pilot Officer on June 11th 1934 and served at RAF Usworth. The picture uploaded is one i have found which is supposed to be him, i assume before he joined, although he looks awfully young in the picture?.

However, i am finding information saying he was killed in a training accident in 1939. If this is the case, he wouldn't have been entitled to the medals. So, am i to assume that someone has put this medal bar on the uniform, or was it another carr-ellison that was killed in 1939?

Any suggestions would be great.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 RAF jacket   WW2 RAF jacket  

WW2 RAF jacket  

Default Re: WW2 RAF jacket

Hi

It might be worth a go searching the London Gazette for his award entry, providing that the medals are original to the tunic.
    Also the tunic rank is, if my knowledge of RAF ranks is up to scratch, Wing Commander.This should help narrow it down a bit.

Thanks

Cameron

Just found this :

WESTLAND WAPITI K1376 THIS AIRCRAFT WAS FLOWN ON OCTOBER 14, 1934 BY TIM CARR-ELLISON. A PIECE OF THE UNDERCARRIAGE WAS SEEN TO FALL OFF AND CARR-ELLISON FORCE LANDED THE WAPITI ON USWORTH AIRFIELD. CARR-ELLISON WAS UNINJURED.

THEODORE RALPH TATE (TIM) CARR-ELLISON RESIGNED HIS COMMISSION WITH THE AAF, DECEMBER 13, 1937 AND ACCEPTED A SHORT SERVICE COMMISSION WITH THE RAF THE FOLLOWING DAY: HE WAS THEN POSTED TO 54 SQUADRON. HIS GLADIATOR FLEW INTO RISING GROUND, JANUARY 28, 1939 AND HE DIED OF HIS INJURIES, JANUARY 30, 1939. HE WAS BURIED IN THE FAMILY (TATE) VAULT WITHIN THE RUINS OF BRAINSHAUGH MONASTERY, A MILE FROM HIS HOME AT GUYZANCE, NORTHUMBERLAND.

Found on: 607 Squadron Photo 4

- - Updated - -

So im assuming the medal bar is a recent addition. Even so, very interesting story behind the man who once owned this jacket.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 RAF jacket  

And here is a picture of him, again found on 607 Squadron Photo 3
    Attached Images Attached Images WW2 RAF jacket 

He was 24 when he died. Born in 1915 i believe

Hi

Would you be able to post some photographs of the rank insignia please?

Thanks

Cameron

I'll get them now, the waistcoat might be from a different collection, i just assumed as it came together it was all the same. However, even if it turns out to be different, i have really enjoyed doing the research into this young gentleman.

Quote by edelweiss123 View Post
    I'll get them now, the waistcoat might be from a different collection, i just assumed as it came together it was all the same. However, even if it turns out to be different, i have really enjoyed doing the research into this young gentleman.
    Hi

I know what you mean. Researching items can be very rewarding.

Thanks

Cameron

Here you go.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 RAF jacket   WW2 RAF jacket  

WW2 RAF jacket  

Hi

Thank you, my thinking is someone might have tried to increase the value by adding the higher rank insignia and medal bar. So the uniform might well have belonged to him.

Cameron

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast