Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 US Army Air Corps Uniforms in Old Trunk

Article about: I have my grandfathers WW2 trunk filled with his old uniforms. He was a Captain in the Air Corps and was in charge of a group that maintained the Norden Bomb Sites - based in North Africa an

CPK
    ?

Default WW2 US Army Air Corps Uniforms in Old Trunk

I have my grandfathers WW2 trunk filled with his old uniforms. He was a Captain in the Air Corps and was in charge of a group that maintained the Norden Bomb Sites - based in North Africa and then Italy. The box contains two heavy coats with full patches and pins, two crusher style hats one with the eagle pin and the second with a large wing/propeller pin. The trunk also contains many everyday type pants and shirts. I want to preserve the uniforms and display them.

The Uniforms were stored away right after WW2 when my grandfather left the army and went back to farming.

I was hoping some of you who are knowledgable of such things might give me their opinion on the following questions (these items have tremendous sentimental value to me so they will not be offered for sale):

Are these uniforms of substantial value such that I should insure them?

Is it worth the expense of preserving the everyday items like pressed shirts (with no insignia), padded long johns, and dress pants?

Additionally, the trunk contains a WW2 Navy dress uniform from my grandmother. I can find no information on the web about this uniform. It is a very well made white shirt with embroidered anchors on the collar. I also have the skirt (suprisingly short for a military outfit - its about knee length I guess) and her dress hat.

Does anyone have anyone know of any threads or other sites where I can find out more about this uniform?

Does my Grandmothers Uniform have a value that is significant enough to require insurance?

Thanks In Advance

?

Default Re: WW2 US Army Air Corps Uniforms in Old Trunk

CPK both have value. Your grandmothers sounds like a Navy WAVES uniform. Photos would help. If you want to clean them find a dry cleaner that does WWII uniforms other then that keep them dry and cool. Gary

CPK
    ?

Thanks Gary - I looked up the WAVES uniforms on the web and that is certainly what I have.

?

CPK glad I could help. As for a value on the uniforms you will have to post photos. The one hat with the wings & propeller is his cadet cap. Gary

CPK
    ?

I will get some photos together but it will probably take some time before I can get them and get them posted - there are some moth holes in the hats which is what prompted me to get these uniforms out and cleaned and in a better environment.

?

pretty neat huh CPK? I recently was able to clean out my fiances grandfathers house. He was in the Army Air Corp as well. I was given a B-11 army air corp jacket which is still in real good condtion other than the musky smell. I am going to get it to a dry cleaner asap. It is a very heavy and nicely lined jacket. has the strap on the front to cover your face and all along with a wool lined hood. I was interested to see your pictures if possible! I was told by my close friend who is a collector that the b-11 jacket would be worth around $150-$200 price range. I dont know how true that is, but I trust his input. I am not selling mine either, so it doesnt really matter I guess. Maybe some1 here would know....is the b-11 jacket hard to find or are they pretty common items that are found?? p.s.- i am not trying to steal your thread! I am patiently awaiting your photos