Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WWII Australian/Commonwealth issue poncho?

Article about: Hello all, I am trying to identify this heavy rubberised poncho. It has seen some use and I can't make out any markings. I am almost certain its a WWII era British or Australian poncho, but

Default WWII Australian/Commonwealth issue poncho?

Hello all,

I am trying to identify this heavy rubberised poncho. It has seen some use and I can't make out any markings.

I am almost certain its a WWII era British or Australian poncho, but it may be well be later issue/used.

Any help identifying this further will be much appreciated

Kind regards,
    Chris
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII Australian/Commonwealth issue poncho?   WWII Australian/Commonwealth issue poncho?  

WWII Australian/Commonwealth issue poncho?  

The army used them for many years, I was issued one in 1975 when I joined the school cadet corps-they're heavy bastard things and were never used as wet weather gear-their main use was as ground sheets for range practice shooting-not sure if they still are used for this but at least to the mid 1980s. The rubber coating deteriorates over time especially if stored damp.

PS It's called a rain cape-the one I was issued in 1975 was brand new-vast stocks still left over from the war and other tropical actions.

Quote by lithgow View Post
    The army used them for many years, I was issued one in 1975 when I joined the school cadet corps-they're heavy bastard things and were never used as wet weather gear-their main use was as ground sheets for range practice shooting-not sure if they still are used for this but at least to the mid 1980s. The rubber coating deteriorates over time especially if stored damp.

PS It's called a rain cape-the one I was issued in 1975 was brand new-vast stocks still left over from the war and other tropical actions.

Very interesting, as I have just purchased a box of Aussie made (M1956) military gear at a garage sale; it mostly dates to the early 1970's and is all named and marked W.C.C.U. Google helped me discover it is all gear that was used by the Waverley College Cadet Unit! I thought the rain cape did not fit in with the rest of the gear, thanks for the info. I will incorporate it into my Nam era displays, cheers

Just to clarify, the capes were used as ground sheets for shooting by the army in general and not used as wet weather gear, having been retired from that in favour of the infamous Smock Tropical entirely non water proof item.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII Australian/Commonwealth issue poncho?   WWII Australian/Commonwealth issue poncho?  

?

I had not seen the matching hat before, nice find.
    Is the tag inside still readable?

Oz

Ubique-unfortunately the label is not readable-the hat's new but the label is made from plastic.