Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

WWII USMC Women's Grouping

Article about: Hi All, I thought I would share with you these recently acquired USMC Women’s Reserve uniforms. These were donated to the thrift shop I volunteer at. All are named to the same women: Name -

?

Default WWII USMC Women's Grouping

Hi All,
    I thought I would share with you these recently acquired USMC Women’s Reserve uniforms. These were donated to the thrift shop I volunteer at.

All are named to the same women:
    Name - Nancy Simons
    SN – 48879

Through some digging on Ancestry, I was able to find the following article dated July 7th, 1947 from the Pottstown Mercury (Pottstown, PA). Being as our shop is in PA, I’m fairly certain the Nancy Simons in this article is the same Nancy Simons these uniforms belonged to.The article is announcing Nancy’s engagement to Elihu Spencer Miller however in addition to this, it mentions that she served with the USMCWR for 29 months.

From this article, I was able to find out additional information on her through Ancestry:

DOB – 4/16/1922 (Northumberland, PA)
    DOD – 4/17/2001 (Roaring Gap, NC)

No other information related to her service, so next step is to send away to NARA.

For more information on the USMCWR as well as other WWII women's military organizations and all of the hard work they did on the home front (although I'm sure similar to today, many women would have preferred to be overseas with the boys), here is a great site with lot's of references:

Blitzkrieg Baby

?

Default Re: WWII USMC Women's Grouping

In any case, here are Nancy's uniforms.

First up is her seersucker Summer Dress Uniform with Sgt rank insignia. Unfortunately, all buttons have been removed from the jacket.

Next is Nancy’s Winter Service Uniform, minus her jacket (whereabouts unknown), but also with Sgt stripes. These along with the remaining uniforms, all contain a similar sewn in name tag identifying Nancy.

Manufacturer’s tag dated 1943 when Nancy was a Corporal. Also includes Nancy’s SN.

A second Winter Service Uniform, minus rank insignia.

Spare Skirt

?

That's all for now! I'll be sure to update the thread when I receive Nancy's service record. Thanks for looking!

Nice uniform, These are hard to come by.

Burt

?

Thanks, Burt! You can imagine my surprise when I stopped in the shop and found these set aside for me (they always set aside militaria for me to price, although I normally wind up buying)!

Nice named group. Good to see some more women's items posted.

Cheers, Lez.

?

Thanks for the kind words, Lez! Glad I could share!

?

Default Grandson of Nancy Simons

Hello Masonk,
    I'm excited to see the images you posted because Nancy Simons is my maternal grandmother! I was disappointed to learn that a relative had donated her uniforms. The big question - do you still have these items or know where they may be? I know it has been 12 years, so I'm hopeful there just might be a way to be reunited with them, as I'm the only in my family who really cares about genealogy and family heirlooms. I've included two photos of some USMC items of hers that I do have.
    WWII USMC Women's GroupingWWII USMC Women's Grouping

Regards,

RDHaig

?

Hi Ramsey,
    Thanks for posting here and sharing your grandmother's items.

I unfortunately passed on your Grandmother's items to another collector several years ago. I'm looking through my messages on a couple forums and in email to see if I can find their contact info. Not having much luck at the moment, unfortunately.

If I do, I'll let them know you've expressed interest in being reunited with the items and pass on your contact info.

Thanks - Eric

Thanks to RDHaig and Eric for reigniting this thread. Nice to see more from the history of Nancy Simons and hoping that they might yet be reunited. Best of luck.