Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

What era/year/type of m1 helmet?

Article about: I would go there to buy a liner chinstrap... but the minimum order is 20 dollars! I'm not spending 10 extra dollars on something that I don't need in order to get a liner chinstrap... which

Default What era/year/type of m1 helmet?

I got this helmet for my birthday and I'm pretty sure that it's a WW2 era m1 helmet considering both the liner and the khaki net and chinstrap. I'm also pretty sure that the "crack" that I see in the back side of the helmet on the folded piece of metal is the swivel, considering that is the only thing which looks like one.

Some things however, that I am curious about are, what does the inscription inside the shell mean? (1282E if you can't read it) and why are there thick green lines in the liner? is that just the way it was painted?

Also, if possible, maybe some of you guys could say some interesting things about it such as the year that it could have been made and such, or if I'm even right inferring that it is a ww2 era helmet. Or maybe, little do I know, it's not even authentic and is in fact a replica. All I know for sure is that the netting smells really bad!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What era/year/type of m1 helmet?   What era/year/type of m1 helmet?  

What era/year/type of m1 helmet?   What era/year/type of m1 helmet?  

Caseydiggz
    ?

Default Re: What era/year/type of m1 helmet?

From what your telling me it sounds like a late ww2 or early Korean War m1 with a nice ww2 liner. When you hear of bales, we are referring to the pieces of metal that would hold the chinstrap on the helmet. The crack in the rim on the rear of your helmet is the "seam". Rear seam helmets indicate a late ww2 or early korean war helmet. If the chinstrap "bales" are welded to the helmet and cannot move then they are "fixed bale" which I believe they stopped making in 1943. So if your's is swivel bale (Which it appears to be) then it was made in 1943 or later.

Also, I can't really tell from the pictures but if the webbing in the liner is a tannish color than it is ww2, but if it is a greenish color than it looks to have been re-issued post-war by CAPAC.

So, i think what you have is a Korean War m1

Hi,
    Inside the helmet liner you will see a makers mark embossed into the crown, could you tell me what the make is ?.
    Dave.

you have a late WWII rear seam helmet w/ swivel bales with a mid war liner and a post war replacement leather headband

are the chin straps sewn on? the loops / bales? WWII manufacture are always sewn on

the helmet and liner also appear to have the original finish od paint

the liner can easily be identified as mid war production by the color of the A washers , late WWII liners had blackened A washers, yours look like the earlier painted or phosphate washers. also all WWII US liners have the tan webbing like yours.

the numbers stamped in the steel shell are called heat stamps, they are batch numbers so the factory knows which batch the helmet is from for quality control, inspection.

the thick green stripes on the shell looks like a soldier just did it for decoration, probably no special purpose.

the net could be WWII or later? cant really tell? lots of countries made nets like that

if it has that old smell, then it's probably a vintage net.

the headband is the only piece that isnt WWII era, probably 1970's or later, if you look at the markings , you will probably find a contract date.

Yes, the chinstraps are sewn onto the bales.

Also, there isn't a date or any markings on the headband. It does definitely look newer though, considering that the fabric is really dark green/black and the leather in it looks newer.

Also, are you sure that the shell is ww2, and not from the Korean war like the other dude said? Because I was really hoping for a fully vintage ww2 helmet

Quote by battle gear View Post
    you have a late WWII rear seam helmet w/ swivel bales with a mid war liner and a post war replacement leather headband

are the chin straps sewn on? the loops / bales? WWII manufacture are always sewn on

the helmet and liner also appear to have the original finish od paint

the liner can easily be identified as mid war production by the color of the A washers , late WWII liners had blackened A washers, yours look like the earlier painted or phosphate washers. also all WWII US liners have the tan webbing like yours.

the numbers stamped in the steel shell are called heat stamps, they are batch numbers so the factory knows which batch the helmet is from for quality control, inspection.

the thick green stripes on the shell looks like a soldier just did it for decoration, probably no special purpose.

the net could be WWII or later? cant really tell? lots of countries made nets like that

if it has that old smell, then it's probably a vintage net.

the headband is the only piece that isnt WWII era, probably 1970's or later, if you look at the markings , you will probably find a contract date.

The makers mark looks kinda like this:

unless I happen to be mentally retarded and that's not the makers mark at all. but that's the only mark i noticed on either the liner or the outside shell (except for the numbers)

also, on the inside of the helmet, does anyone know what the cloudy, kind of "dried up water" looking stuff is? because it's a stain and it won't come out.

the stuff on the inside of the liner

yes, the shell is definitely late WWII mfg in late 1944 - 1945

these late WWII helmets would have been used in the Korean war

the model M1 helmet made during the Korean war has clamp on chin straps [not sewn] and the shell has a very fine sand / silca finish

also Korean war era liners have green color webbing not tan like yours

some people call the Korean war helmet the M51

Quote by Awesome View Post
    also, on the inside of the helmet, does anyone know what the cloudy, kind of "dried up water" looking stuff is? because it's a stain and it won't come out.

the stuff on the inside of the liner
    thats probably just some residue / oxidation from age, I would just leave it as is

the maker mark is Westinghouse Electric Co
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What era/year/type of m1 helmet?  

most of the helmets used in the Korean war are WWII era helmets, you can tell by the photos of soldiers in Korea, the helmets always have the older style sewn on type chin straps. I have never seen a Korean war photo with the metal clamp on type chin straps, even though they may have been used.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast