Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

3 US steel pot helmets?

Article about: Hello everybody, Today I found time to do this post-- which I have wanted to do for a while. I have 3 Helmets that I have bought over the last year. The one on the right is a ww2 (as far as

Default 3 US steel pot helmets?

Hello everybody, Today I found time to do this post-- which I have wanted to do for a while. I have 3 Helmets that I have bought over the last year. The one on the right is a ww2 (as far as I know) and the one on the left is a Vietnam Helmet as far as I know. The middle helmet is the one I'm having a hard time Identifying. what is it? What war? American? I might be wrong about the other 2 so I would definitely appreciate the help. Thank you for looking!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 3 US steel pot helmets?   3 US steel pot helmets?  

3 US steel pot helmets?   3 US steel pot helmets?  

3 US steel pot helmets?  

Default Re: 3 US steel pot helmets?

from what I can see, the one in the middle and the one on the right are both Vietnam era, the middle one has a Vietnam Model 1965 liner, and the other has the Model 1958 [early VN liner]

does the helmet in the middle have swivel bales or fixed non movable type? hard to see in the photo, if it has fixed non movable loops it could be a WWII era helmet shell reissued during Vietnam

the helmet with the Woodland camo cover is probably post Vietnam 1980's judging by the looks of the liner, straps

the cover is for a PASGT Kevlar army helmet from the 1980's [not correct for use on the M1 helmet]

NCA
    ?

Any markings in the crowns of the liners?also, any numbers stamped inside front of the steel helmets above the brim?The texture of the shells themselves are good indicators of date(roughly)sandy?Corked?Front seam, rear seam?
    The PASGT cover would have some something stamped inside too like a DSA number.You can date them from this.

ok , sorry it took so long to respond, the helmets bales are movable (swivel bale). i always wondered why the camo never went on right. thanks for the info.

the markings on the crowns of the liners are: (for the one on the right) 28703 or 28783 i cant tell. unfortunetly the other two liners are too beat up to tell. also, i could not tell or find the stamp on the inside of the helmet themselves, i might not be looking in the right place.

hey man, the helmet on the right is korean war or early vietnam war, the middle one is vietnam war, and the left one is late vietnam war, hope this helps

The Woodland camo cover on the helmet to the left in the first photo is for a modern
    US 'Fritz' Kevlar lid, as NCA and Battlegear have said. Vietnam covers are of one
    piece and have a seam down the middle, without any connecting tabs.
    The third picture shows this modern cover incorrectly mounted
    to the sweatband !

Also, make sure there are 2 small metal 'snaps' inside these liners for connecting
    a leather chinstrap, if you are thinking of buying some. I see that only one
    of your liners has them..............
    Regards,

Steve.

Thank you guys for the help! Im considering buying a Vietnam camo cover. The camo cover on it now, was sold to me like that a while back, it does look incorrect.

Anyways thanks again for the help!