Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

502nd airborne helmet (original or fake?)

Article about: Some time ago I bought this helmet from ebay, the seller said that he didn't know anything about insignas, are they original or fake? doubt arose when I heard that the 101st paratroopers use

Default 502nd airborne helmet (original or fake?)

Some time ago I bought this helmet from ebay, the seller said that he didn't know anything about insignas, are they original or fake?
    doubt arose when I heard that the 101st paratroopers used to cover their insignas with a green paint, and as you can see possible traces of this paint could be visibles around the insignas.502nd airborne helmet (original or fake?)502nd airborne helmet (original or fake?)502nd airborne helmet (original or fake?)502nd airborne helmet (original or fake?)502nd airborne helmet (original or fake?)502nd airborne helmet (original or fake?)502nd airborne helmet (original or fake?)502nd airborne helmet (original or fake?)502nd airborne helmet (original or fake?)502nd airborne helmet (original or fake?)

Default Re: 502nd airborne helmet (original or fake?)

Hello and welcome,i hate to say it but ebay is riddled with these converted M1 helmets.I've not seen a good one on there yet and i doubt i ever will!

Do not like it Sorry.
    chris

?

Welcome to the forum!
    Is the original ebay listing still visible? If so could you send a link? Can you remember what the seller said about the heatstsamp in the pot?
    Lots of questions, sorry!
    Bear in mind, if this was an original, you could buy a very nice house with the asking price.

Best Regards,

Andy

Sorry bad liner, to me it has the wrong shade of “A” yokes for a Westinghouse plus I am sure the cast buckles are repo due to the fact that they have a step on them. If you look at the stencils they seem to have an aurora around them which to me is a sign of artificial ageing.
    Again sorry this is just my opinion. Wish it was a good one for you.
    Rod

The link is not more visible, the seller just said that he didn't know anything about the helmet, all in all I also think it's a repro

?

It's no good. Liner webbing color is bad, and I don't like the paint either.

Martin

I am glad you also think its put together David. The chances of finding a real one is very remote.
    I sometimes feel sorry for people who think they are posting there pride and joy wither it be a medal or helmet ect only to find its a doink. I try and be polite.
    As long as you never paid a small fortune for it,
    It still looks alright for display. And it is still a fixed bale. What make is the liner?
    It is trying to be a Westinghouse.
    Regards
    Rod

Looks like one of the bails is a fresh weld.