Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

506th PIR helmet

Article about: Gentlemen, I would like to show this original 101st airborne helmet as a prelude to possibly selling it. I have had it listed on ebay but have withdrawn it simply because I am not confident

Default 506th PIR helmet

Gentlemen,

I would like to show this original 101st airborne helmet as a prelude to possibly selling it. I have had it listed on ebay but have withdrawn it simply because I am not confident of the listing and the audience or market that I am reaching. I am an amateur historian first and a collector second so I am quite out of touch with 'the market'. I look forward to hearing comments. The helmet was given to an American author researching the Ardennes offensive back in the late 1990's and is I am sure completely genuine. It is a shell only but the 506th stencils are very clear.
    Perhaps some of you may enjoy seeing it firstly after which I may move it to the classifieds page.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 506th PIR helmet   506th PIR helmet  

506th PIR helmet   506th PIR helmet  

506th PIR helmet   506th PIR helmet  

Hi and welcome the 1st thing to do purely as advice is to speak to Mark Bando,regarded as a leading authority by most on the 101st,having interviewed veterans of the 101st over some 3 decades,hopefully your have a better understanding of authenticity and value,good luck.!

Hi and thanks.
    I have met Mark Bando a couple of times and I'm sure he is aware of this particular helmet. Just to give some background, I was involved a few years ago with the moving of a building from Aldbourne Wiltshire to the Currahee Museum in Toccoa GA and met Mark at a couple of the Camp Toccoa reunions. Thanks again.

I was saving my kidney for a rainy day, but maybe you will take it for this bad boy instead?

When and where will this one be made available?

It looks ok from the pictures you posted, but I would want to know more about where it came from. The tick markings are quite small, and these were painted this size over the top of larger ones, as they realised the large markings were easy to spot on the battlefield. There were a couple of brothers who were quite heavily involved in airborne collecting and lived near Aldbourne in the 1990s is this one of their items?

Thank you everyone for your comments.
    No, the helmet is not from the collection of either of the Stevens brothers. As I said above it came to me from an American author who acquired it directly from a Belgian family living in the village of Noville in the Ardennes during a research trip for a book. The helmet is available for purchase directly from me for the right price which I would consider to be the low thousands. I have a fairly well established connection with the military museum in Toccoa GA the trustees of which would certainly vouch for my character and bona fides. I can send a scan of the original letter of provenance by personal message if you would like although I can't see a PM button here. I am no expert but I am aware of the scarcity of such items, particularly 506th helmets. Do keep asking the questions and let me know what I can do. Thanks again

but it's on sale this helmet?

Yes, I would sell this helmet for the right price.

Quote by boston1944 View Post
    Yes, I would sell this helmet for the right price.
    So no joy 1st time around then.!