Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

77th Liberty Division helmet liner

Article about: Hi guys here's a liner I've had for a while from a collection I bought out. It is a Firestone manufactured liner from mid 1944 to the Wars end. The liner has a textured coat of paint but app

Default 77th Liberty Division helmet liner

Hi guys here's a liner I've had for a while from a collection I bought out. It is a Firestone manufactured liner from mid 1944 to the Wars end. The liner has a textured coat of paint but appears shiny on top and appears to be some sort of lacquer applied or spilt on top of it but doesn't reach the bottom as you can see from pics . The decal is that of the 77th liberty division which took part in amphibious landings and mopping up missions in the Pacific during WW2.
    My question would be is this an orginal WW2 decal or something done post war? I'm no expert in decals and would hope someone on here could help
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 77th Liberty Division helmet liner   77th Liberty Division helmet liner  

77th Liberty Division helmet liner   77th Liberty Division helmet liner  

77th Liberty Division helmet liner   77th Liberty Division helmet liner  

Well i know everyone will have a differant opinion on this but to me every ww2 shell and liner i've ever come across including the 200 pages in "The Helmets of the ETO" all have hand painted markings.!as far as i'm aware transfer decals started sometime in the 1950's but again this is only my opinion,and can't really add any more.!interesting debate Ian.!

Thanks Jake I was leaning more to post war myself as I think the liner has been repainted but hard to tell as it's not evident to see the original factory finish where the paint has chipped

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    Well i know everyone will have a differant opinion on this but to me every ww2 shell and liner i've ever come across including the 200 pages in "The Helmets of the ETO" all have hand painted markings.!as far as i'm aware transfer decals started sometime in the 1950's but again this is only my opinion,and can't really add any more.!interesting debate Ian.!
    Hi Jake I have just found on another forum a liner with a similar glossy colour finish and the same decal. One person describes it as atypical of a garrison liner found in the early 1950s. That solves that one I suppose

I'll probably be proven wrong again Lol,but i just can't imagine a Combat frontline soldier sitting and peeling off backing to whack a sticker/decal onto a shell or liner.!

Remember how rough markings were when added,just a tin and brush and bob's your uncle'job done.!