Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Advice on 1950's M-1 set up

Article about: All, this is my first post - I just joined the forum. I'm seeking some advice from experienced collectors and this seems like the best place to get it, so here it goes: I have a 1950's USMC

?

Default Advice on 1950's M-1 set up

All, this is my first post - I just joined the forum. I'm seeking some advice from experienced collectors and this seems like the best place to get it, so here it goes:

I have a 1950's USMC helmet cover and I'm trying to match it with an age appropriate M1 set up for display in my office. I have a nice and honest 51/52 CPAC liner that I plan to use, and I have three options for the shell:

1. A WWII front seam swivel bail with khaki straps and what looks to me like black finished brass hardware. Heat stamp 899A.

2. A post war low profile shell with green hardware and a dark sand finish, heat stamp MW A3.

3. Another low profile shell with green hardware and heat stamp M 143A.

I'd love to hear some opinions about which seems most appropriate. I would prefer to use the WWII shell, but I doubt the Marines were still using khaki straps in the field in the late 1950s, but I could be wrong about that. Feedback appreciated!

As an aside, about the cover, it is stamped "Blue Anchor" and has a diamond shaped patch sewn on with a EGA stamped on it. I've read this dates the cover to @1956 or a little later. Interestingly, my father enlisted in the USMC in 1955 and went straight to Okinawa after MCRD (San Diego). He was an infantryman. He says he doesn't remember these patches on the helmet, so I suspect only some units actually used them.

If your after a KW setup then use the WW2 shell,if your thinking early Nam,mid 50's onwards then either of the other two will be perfectly ok.

?

Thanks, Jake. Much appreciated!

If its a tribute to your Father then certainly the latter with the cover,this cover would be too late for Korea,ww2 examples were still in service 1950-1953,please show pics of the Helmets you have,the MW which should also have an A as well is quite a rare made McCord shell from the 1958 production run and are seldom seen,I've only encountered less than a dozen in the last decade.

?

Here are pics of the shells, I tried to get the MW A3 - if you enlarge it you can see it.

Rob
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Advice on 1950's M-1 set up   Advice on 1950's M-1 set up  

Advice on 1950's M-1 set up  

I would use the WWII era shell.

i agree the ww2 helmet shell would be the better option i have a vietnam m1c and the shell is korean war period