Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Another salty m1 helmet

Article about: Hi folks, during my quest to refurbish an m1 i began to look around for spares etc, i was not happy with the liner i got as it is 1972 issue so evilbay it was, i found an older liner battere

Default Another salty m1 helmet

Hi folks, during my quest to refurbish an m1 i began to look around for spares etc, i was not happy with the liner i got as it is 1972 issue so evilbay it was, i found an older liner battered and one that 90% of people would not touch but he ho beggers can not be choosers it comes with an even saltier helmet another project for later, not sure about this helmet and liners age if anyone can narrow it down that would be great,stands me at £30, less than a night out.
    Steve
    Another salty m1 helmet
    Another salty m1 helmet
    Another salty m1 helmet
    Another salty m1 helmet
    Another salty m1 helmet
    Another salty m1 helmet
    Another salty m1 helmet
    Another salty m1 helmet

Hi steve the shell is an early Fixed Bale,sorry was originally made in 1942,the liner is also wartime with original paint but cannot tell exact time frame without better pics,nice buy for £30 good one i say............ also its a McCord.

Cheers bud, it is in transit once it arrives i will let you know the maker etc and better pics, i helmet will be a challenge.

Sometimes in auctions you can hit lucky mate,it has the famous dimple on the rim between the Bales these apartently were the ones earmarked for D Bale by McCords but due to constant breaks on the D ring production decreased so they stayed as Fixed Bale instead,these are only found with heat treatment numbers ranging from around 150-320.a very done as these early period types are not so common out on the open market,let me know the heat treatment if you can please........when it arrives obviously......

Will do, you know i never knew about those dimples either thats why i became a member here the information from you guys is priceless, would you the blue paint indicate USN.

Could be steve,the problem is matching when the paint and the Bales were done,as they look stainless I would say replaced in field during the war as Maganese steel was used from jan 1945,but i dont whether the Navy had resources to undertake Helmet overhauls or whether it was just Army,so the paint maybe post war reissued Helmet.

Yeah i understand, toy can still see the original OD on the rim of the last picture quite clearly with blue overpainted.

So this has now arrived helmet is as the pictures but liner is different, a later one 1951/52 i am on to the seller obviously thought i would not notice, also trying to find heat stamp numbers.

Crufty so and so,switching the liner from the above pic,very naughty indeed mate,strangle his nuts!!!!!!hope it gets sorted?was it ebay?if so your protected under "item not as described"...........

Sorted bud, he says liner got mixed in another pot, yeah i bet anyway he is posting it tomorrow, helmet is not in to bad shape paint apart, no holes or dings still buggered for the heat stamp but i have time, this is project number three and one isnt finished yet, the Schuleter, must get my finger out wife wanted bedroom decorating then one week in Krakow, i will be back on it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast