Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Anyone have a clue as to the paint marking on this US M1 helmet

Article about: Hello all, I bought a number of helmets off a person this past Dec 31st, a few WWII, 2 nice Vietnam issue helmets with cloth camo covers, assorted legit other helmets and then this one. It's

Default Anyone have a clue as to the paint marking on this US M1 helmet

Hello all,

I bought a number of helmets off a person this past Dec 31st, a few WWII, 2 nice Vietnam issue helmets with cloth camo covers, assorted legit other helmets and then this one.

It's a late WWII rear seam helmet with swivel bails, the chin straps have been upgraded to a Nam issue helmet. But my question is the arrow-like design painted on the top of the helmet, it is under the green paint- not over. The paint has worn a bit to show it. The prior owner has no clue and as I bought these all at really decent price it was not being pushed as a rare painted helmet.

Any thoughts as I am stumped- some sort of shore party marking or logistics perhaps?

Again I have no clue.

Thanks in advance all!

Anyone have a clue as to the paint marking on this US M1 helmetAnyone have a clue as to the paint marking on this US M1 helmet

Default Re: Anyone have a clue as to the paint marking on this US M1 helmet

Haven't a clue but any field painted helmet is a good helmet

I'll be watching to see what others come up with.

?

It was painted on helmets by Irish American soldiers because they kept getting lost. They would take their helmet off and look at the arrow and go in the direction the arrow pointed. It is believed that the WWI 77th division Irish boys from New York used this method which resulted in the lost battalion.
    Actually it was used as a sniper check. You would paint a big white stripe on the helmet of the biggest a$$hole in the outfit and put him out on point.
    Another sniper check for junior officers who kept getting guys killed in the field because of their stupidity was to salute them at every oppurtinity while on patrol.

Probably done post war by a kid for whatever reason. No body Knows.

Nice.

well i dont know what yours means but i have a battle painted D'day helmet (schlueter) and im curious i know of ranks and NCO stripes and such and ranks sometimes painted black so snipers couldnt pick them off, but my helmets NCO bar is forrest green? and all this was under the korean war repaint so anyone heard of this? Anyone have a clue as to the paint marking on this US M1 helmet

?

Quote by SteveR View Post
    It was painted on helmets by Irish American soldiers because they kept getting lost. They would take their helmet off and look at the arrow and go in the direction the arrow pointed. It is believed that the WWI 77th division Irish boys from New York used this method which resulted in the lost battalion.
    Actually it was used as a sniper check. You would paint a big white stripe on the helmet of the biggest a$$hole in the outfit and put him out on point.
    Another sniper check for junior officers who kept getting guys killed in the field because of their stupidity was to salute them at every oppurtinity while on patrol.

Probably done post war by a kid for whatever reason. No body Knows.
    LMAO!!!! Except for that Irish part Tonto!!!!!!

Semper Fi
    Phil