MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Australian Vietnam MI?

Article about: Hi, I bought this M1 from an Australian military surplus shop in 1976 or 1977 - I've always assumed it was Australian Vietnam issue but it could easily be US. I would appreciate any comments

Default Australian Vietnam MI?

Hi, I bought this M1 from an Australian military surplus shop in 1976 or 1977 - I've always assumed it was Australian Vietnam issue but it could easily be US. I would appreciate any comments on the shell or liner. The only mark on the shell is P with GC underneath. The liner band has a DSA 100 number but I can't see a date. Liner manufacturer is US 133. Thanks Terry
    Australian Vietnam MI?Australian Vietnam MI? Australian Vietnam MI?Australian Vietnam MI? Australian Vietnam MI?Australian Vietnam MI?Australian Vietnam MI?

?

Default Re: Australian Vietnam MI?

well the liner is US made & i believe so is the shell but Ive never seen a stamp like that made up of only letters & no numbers maybe this was stamped this way as it was being supplied the the Australian army ??

Thanks Nick, anyone else seen this marking?

4md
    ?

hello
    got this m1 on ebay a few weeks ago it has the same markings on the shell.
    the guy i bought it from said he got it from the U.S. surplus years ago.
    it could be that someone imported a batch of U.S helmets with the same letters or like nick says aussie issue.
    my liner is westinghouse and looks like all others except the painted 9 on the inside.......which could be an australian army thing???
    the mitchell cover didnt come with the helmet
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Australian Vietnam MI?   Australian Vietnam MI?  

Australian Vietnam MI?   Australian Vietnam MI?  

The Australians got a liscense to produce the M1 helmet. Not copy it, produce it exactly. The shell is australian. The liner, I don't know. I think US vietnam though. Possible, the Aussie got to vietnam, tore his liner, kept his steel. Got re-issued a US liner.

looks like a foreign copy, the paint color is different, looks like the color is a dark forrest green, not the lighter apple green seen on a US models from the VN era, the chin straps also look different

probablly an Aussie made shell, Ive never seen a US made VN era shell with those markings

most Australian made liners have their own Australian code on the side of the liner, and they usually use a different tone of a green and/or brown. steel pots i'm not too sure, i always thought that US imported helmets to allied countries, but most Australian made steel pots don't have markings on it some do, and they used a different blend of green paint, not the same as a US m1 helmet. heres a link to the post of my Australian m1 helmet. My M1 helmet

hope this helps, Cheers - Carl