Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Black M-1 Schlueter Shell

Article about: My newest thought on this lid is that it might possibly be from one of the dozen or so countries that purchased Surplus M-1s after the war.......

Default Black M-1 Schlueter Shell

I picked up this black M-1 shell several months ago, off of eBay if my memory serves me correct, curiosity got the best of me. Well, I’m still curious and haven’t a clue what the origin of this M-1 might be.

What I do know is that it is a Schlueter rear seam, so that helps date it, at least originally. Judging from the condition of the chin strap hook, I'm guessing it was a navy helmet. The buckle side has rotted off about half way down the strap, another sign it might have been in a navy type environment. The red and white squares on the front are decals, not paint, looks almost like a target of sorts. The shell is free of dents so I’m guessing it’s been stashed away for many many years.

Any ideas?

Russ & Son

?

Default Re: Black M-1 Schlueter Shell

I agree, that it might have been navy, damage control maybe?

Nitram

Nitram, I've only seen DC helmets in red and grey but with the navy you never know.

Here is a thought I had last night!

Being a former member of Uncle Sams Canoe Club, I remember doing tons of "Casualty Control" and "Battle Simulation" training. Outside teams would periodically come on board to grade us on our Battle Readiness. I'm wondering of maybe one of these teams had these helmets painted up and marked so that they could be easily seperated, from ships company, in all the chaos that ensues during these battle and casualty simlations. The little target looking decals on the front looks to be a bit reflective and would make it easy to spot in the dark as well.

Russ

Going to give this thread one more pass through the crowd.....

?

Looks a bit like an old Navy signal flag.

Best Regards,

Andy

Possibly Andy, I've got a deck of WWII signalman cards, I'll have to sort through them and see if that sheds any light....thanks for the idea!

Russ

Andy, it was worth a look but after runing through my deck of US Signal Cards, I did not find a match..... Still looking for the $20 answer....

Russ

?

Quote by MySonsDad View Post
    Andy, it was worth a look but after runing through my deck of US Signal Cards, I did not find a match..... Still looking for the $20 answer....

Russ
    Oh well, back to the drawing board then.
    That is an odd lid, I can find nothing like it on the intertubes or in books. Like you I am sort of leaning toward it being an observers helmet, perhaps for war games maneuvers to distinguish an observer from either side? Maybe not Navy?

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Andy, I've also run out of places to look and do think it is as stated, some sort of "special purposed" helmet as is certainly is not a recognized or any type of common paint and markings. I so believe it to be Navy, all signs point to that, but behond that anyones guess. It is different enough to keeps its place on the shelf, just need to find and old salty liner for it now. Thanks for putting in the time to try and figure it out.

Russ

?

Thanks for putting in the time to try and figure it out.

Russ.

Sir, you are welcome. I haven't given up yet!

Best Regards,

Andy.
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast