Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

British/US helmet nets

Article about: The British started using nets on there helmets probably in 1941 & were the woven type, they then started using string knotted nets a bit later possibly 1943. The size was about 16"

?

Default British/US helmet nets

The British started using nets on there helmets probably in 1941 & were the woven type, they then started using string knotted nets a bit later possibly 1943. The size was about 16"x 16" & fitted the Mk2 & all the P types but was a bit of a struggle to get it to fit the Mk3. They then enlarged them to 18"x 18" which easily fitted onto the Mk3 but also fitted the US M1 which the earlier nets did'nt fit. Does anyone know if this was done deliberately so they could sell these nets to the US or did it just happen out of curiosity by the US soldiers to have nets on there helmets too as they at that time did'nt have nets apart from maybe Canadian nets?
    The lighter green nets are 16"x 16" the darker green 18"X 18", ( darker 18"x 18" are the 2 to the left of the group picture)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British/US helmet nets   British/US helmet nets  

British/US helmet nets   British/US helmet nets  

British/US helmet nets   British/US helmet nets  

?

Default Re: British/US helmet nets

That's a really good question. To my knowledge there have been no real studies on helmet nets or camouflage covers for US Helmets, other than collectors making deductions from available materials. However, I would not be surprised if the British manufacturers were encouraged to increase the size of the nets so that the yanks could make use of them.

NCA
    ?

Default Re: British/US helmet nets

I have a piece of netting in my collection that is around 5x9ft and is exactly the same type as your second picture.Sorry i cant be any help to your question.These things are a study in themselves...