Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Can you I.D. this helmet? Is it an M-1 from the 80s?

Article about: Hello, I have an old army helmet that I used to play with as a kid. The weird thing is, I have absolutely no idea where I got it from... maybe a yard sale or a flea market perhaps. Or maybe

Hawk
    ?

Default Can you I.D. this helmet? Is it an M-1 from the 80s?

Hello,

I have an old army helmet that I used to play with as a kid. The weird thing is, I have absolutely no idea where I got it from... maybe a yard sale or a flea market perhaps. Or maybe someone gave it to me.

I dug it out of my parents attic today and would like to know more about it.

Yes, I am planning to sell it. I need to.
    I wasnt going to, but we are moving so I need to "lighten our load" and get rid of things we wont actually be using. Plus we need the money for the move. Ive had to sell off a lot of things that Ive collected over the years.

Anyway, I dont want to get ripped off by some dealer if I have something of value here. You know?

I looked up U.S. helmets online (thats how I found this cool forums) and it looks like it could be an M-1 from the 80's? (Dont laugh at me if Im wrong. lol )

So here is the helmet. Its pretty cool. I loved playing with it as a kid.

It is very heavy. Its got an inner helmet made of a light-weight material, (not sure what that is called) and an outter helmet that must be steel. Then the cammo cover.

Can anyone I.D. it and tell me some information about it? Is it even an actualy military issue helmet? Why does it have two helmets in one? Is it from the 80's or earlier? etc.

Thank you very much in advance for any help.

Default Re: Can you I.D. this helmet? Is it an M-1 from the 80s?

It appears to be an m1 80's era helmet. The basic woodland camo cover should be dated on the inside somewhere. The chinstrap webbing is of the same era.

Yes the m1 consisted of a metal outer shell and a pressed composite inner shell that holds the liner.

Average value of an 80's helmet is approx. $25-$30. There are alot out there.

hope this helps, Ty

?

ok you have a US m1 helmet that is of airborne issue hence the style of chin strap. all US m1 helmets are in 2 parts the inner liner with all the head suspension & strapping this is normally used on is own for training & so forth & of course you have the outer steel shell used for combat. sometimes there maybe a date stamped inside the liner or on the strapping they normally date from the late 70's on wards as for the camo cover its wrong that belongs on the early issue US Kevlar helmet not this. as for price not worth allot im afraid as theres so many of them around £30 or so any way hope this helps & welcome to the forum

Ty ya got there first

hah, but i didn't even notice the Kelvar cover!!!!!! I must be going blind

Ty

?

& just to add the liner does not go with the steel shell either cos if you look the chin strap of the steel shell has press studs on them that are meant to attach to the liner system as with all airborne helmets of this type

He is correct. In other words the helmet has been put together from different era's and possible a ground troop inner shell. Everything fits but does not match any particular single branch.

Ty

?

i may not know allot about WW2 german gear but i make up for it in other areas

Hawk
    ?

haha. Well that figures. lol.

Thank you guys.

So as not to confuse or mislead a buyer, should I just say like... M-1 helmet with mixed pieces? Or something like that? Or would collectors not even want it unless I separated the cover, kevlar helmet and the inner...(whatever thats made of) helmet.

Thanks again guys for your help and knowlege in this. I have no clue.

?

remove the cover you can sell that separately & sell the helmet with liner as an M1 style helmet with liner & if you can find any dates in the liner also mention that as well cos if its an early issue liner some people will buy it just for that to complete a Vietnam era helmet they may have

Hawk
    ?

Quote by WolfMan73 View Post
    remove the cover you can sell that separately & sell the helmet with liner as an M1 style helmet with liner & if you can find any dates in the liner also mention that as well cos if its an early issue liner some people will buy it just for that to complete a Vietnam era helmet they may have

Okay.

So the liner is the light-weight helmet that feels kind of like plastic a bit? (i know its not plastic, just feels like it)

The cover was a sucker to get off. But I managed.
    I havent found any dates on anything though. (except for the cover but its too faded to read)

So the cover is what? Just a regular helmet cover from the 80's? Not like...idk, Marines or Army specific, or job specific, or something peticular? (i know you said the chin strap was Airborne)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast