Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Chrome M-1 Helmets?

Article about: Can anyone tell me what the deal is with Chrome M-1 helmets? I know they date back to WWII, I’ve seen some that state they are Korea era and, if I recall, they even wore them in my navy boot

Default Chrome M-1 Helmets?

Can anyone tell me what the deal is with Chrome M-1 helmets? I know they date back to WWII, I’ve seen some that state they are Korea era and, if I recall, they even wore them in my navy boot camp color guard (I’ll have to dig out those old graduation day pix) dating as late as 1981, mostly called parade helmets. A lot of what I have been reading states that they are as rare as a cool day on the sun. Is this true? I’ve got a kid down the street that might be looking to get ride of his post WWII chrome M-1 and liner. I have not seen it yet but my son has seen it and says it’s in good shape. I’m going to have him bring it over to the house, hopefully in the next few days so I’m trying to get a feel for if these are $40 lids or $240 lids.

Assuming Korea or later, and all in one piece, can anyone shed some light on the rarity (if at all) of these chrome domes and what the approximate value range might be?

Thanks in advance.

Russ & Son

Default Re: Chrome M-1 Helmets?

Russ, $40 tops is what I would pay for one if it had a decent liner with, and I had the desire for it. Which I really have no use for one. And while not seen in great numbers, I wouldn't say they are anywhere near rare in terms of collectors value. They are as you recall from your Navy boot days, used in ceremonies. Or used to be. I honestly haven't seen one used in the last 26 years, 22 of which were in uniform. But that is Army, so not sure what the other services might have done with them, but still do not recall any pictures of them.

?

i love the chrome M-1's Ive got one myself paid £12=$20. as Hoovie says these are not rare nor that desired by collectors but some sellers do get a bit silly with prices as they believe they are !

heres mine its named to a LT. P MATCHETT & i think i might of found him but cant be 100% sure.

NARA - AAD - Display Full Records - Electronic Army Serial Number Merged File, ca. 1938 - 1946 (Enlistment Records)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Chrome M-1 Helmets?   Chrome M-1 Helmets?  

Chrome M-1 Helmets?   Chrome M-1 Helmets?  

Chrome M-1 Helmets?   Chrome M-1 Helmets?  

Chrome M-1 Helmets?  

Thanks guys for the input. I was thinking on those same lines, even if not made in mass numbers, not much of a collectable. I'd like to have one just because they are part of the history of the M-1, and will keep my eyes open for one at a reasonable price. I'm going to check see if my kids friend will drag his over to the house today so that I can get a look see. I'm certain that it is a post war lid but you never know, I might be suprised. Also, I checked my Navy photo album and found one photo of one of the color gaurd guys, in my boot company, wearing a chrome dome during graduation in NTC San Diego, 1981. I'll pull it from the album later and scan it.

Thanks again for the input,

Russ