Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

D-Day Pics

Article about: how can you tell there hawley liners?my eyes arn't that good,dave.

?

Default D-Day Pics

A friend of mine has sent some links to photographs, mostly AP relating to D-Day.
    The first one, despite the caption I believe is just posed, note the lack of extra gear and the slightly bored expressions. But...15 Hawley para rigs?
    I'm sure these have been seen before, but it is the first time I've seen them.
    The second one looks very real indeed. But what are the first two soldiers wearing on their helmets, it looks like some sort of white scrim patch? Luminous paint for id? Any ideas?
    The link is here:
    Photos: The 65th Anniversary of D-Day on the Normandy Beaches – - PlogPlog Photo Blog
    At the bottom of the linked page, check out the link for the PTO to see US Marines wearing odd helmet nets, covers with nets and rubber bands, and the Army wearing cammo painted pots.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture D-Day Pics   D-Day Pics  

Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Default Re: D-Day Pics

Thanks for posting, these are some great photographs

?

Good photo, very noticable that liner chinstraps are worn over the brim of the helmet and that the normal helmet chinstraps are worn down on the neck , fairly loosely, presumably to ensure the metal helmet doesny fly off when jumping

?

Here is the PTO link.
    Photos: The Pacific and Adjacent Theaters in WWII – - PlogPlog Photo Blog

Some powerful photos here, but I've picked a couple of M1 related ones.
    Pic 1. That's not wire around that helmet? Surely not. It's a net, right?
    Pic 2. Marines, (or Army?) no covers but some odd looking nets.
    Pic 3. Army cammo pots.
    Pic 4. Marine cover plus net.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture D-Day Pics   D-Day Pics  

D-Day Pics   D-Day Pics  

Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Hi Andy. The 'white scrim' you mention is actually the Censors
    blotting out of any pertinent info.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Hi Andy. The 'white scrim' you mention is actually the Censors
    blotting out of any pertinent info.........
    Aha! Thanks Walkwolf.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Last edited by aj4010; 07-25-2012 at 11:03 PM.
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[/COLOR][/CENTER]

I don’t think i have seen these before thank you for posting Andy.
    That first picture you posted maybe they’re not bored they might be worried, it is strange that no one is looking at the camera, then again none of the helmets have stencils so it might have been taken before the event.
    Yes para hawley liners inside M2s where are all those liners now,
    Regards
    Rod

?

Glad you found them interesting gents.
    Rod, it's the lack of extra gear in the first photo that makes me think it is posed. Notice no leg bags or life vests. I think it may be way earlier than June 1944, hence the Hawley liners. I don't recall seeing any other photos of Hawley para rigs being used on D-Day.
    I'm sure I could be proved wrong on that though............

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[/COLOR][/CENTER]

Quote by aj4010 View Post

Some powerful photos here, but I've picked a couple of M1 related ones.
    Pic 1. That's not wire around that helmet? Surely not. It's a net, right?

Pic 3. Army cammo pots.

Best Regards,

Andy
    To answer your 1st question, they were pieces of rubber, with what looks like hand fashioned nets, or the netting from camo nets. Here are some screen shots that show both a camo lid and the rubber..

?

Great pics HoovieDude, thank you.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[/COLOR][/CENTER]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast