Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Dating M1 shell of lieutenant and liner

Article about: Dear all, May I ask you about dating this M1 shell and liner please? A long time ago I purchased both in combination. What do you think about them? With best wishes alter musketier

Default Dating M1 shell of lieutenant and liner

Dear all,

May I ask you about dating this M1 shell and liner please? A long time ago I purchased both in combination. What do you think about them?

With best wishes
    alter musketier

In memory of my father who was in K-Einsatz, combat engagement, with the RAD in the Alps in 1945, of my grandfather who was with the IR 87 during campaign in France in 1940 and of my grand-uncle who served in the Gardegrenadierregiment Nr. 3 "Königin Elisabeth" and who was killed in action at Craonne, Chemin des Dames in France in 1917

Default Re: Dating M1 shell of lieutenant and liner

Two further pictures of the liner.

In memory of my father who was in K-Einsatz, combat engagement, with the RAD in the Alps in 1945, of my grandfather who was with the IR 87 during campaign in France in 1940 and of my grand-uncle who served in the Gardegrenadierregiment Nr. 3 "Königin Elisabeth" and who was killed in action at Craonne, Chemin des Dames in France in 1917

?

The steel pot looks to be a WW2 constructed front seam swivel bail. At least one of the chinstraps seem to have been roughly affixed/repaired, perhaps "in the field." There is a T1 hook on one side, these were introduced late WW2 and used through the Korean and Vietnam wars.
    The liner is the Airborne type, post WW2/Korea made by Micarta (a sub division of Westinghouse) I think, (no grommet hole to the front.) The chinstrap is interesting. Is there a faint US stamp on the liner chinstrap, where it would fit the wearers chin? Are there any printed numbers on the webbing of the liner?

Best Regards,

Andy

Edit: Is there a date on the sticker in the liner?
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

alter shell as andy stated is front seamed ww2 vintage,liner is a p55 type 2 liner made by westinghouse in 1958,chinstraps are korean 1951-1961 but field done i doubt it not with stitching like aunt bessie has had a go,someone has removed the green painted bale connectors and simply done a bad job of sewing the straps directly on to the bales maybe to sell as authentic ww2?

Dear andy, dear moaning minnie,

Thank you very much for your answers, a lot of information!
    About the liner: I haven' t found an US-stamp on the chinstrap. I haven't found any stamp on any strap of the webbing. In the middle of the dome of the liner there is the Westinghouse circled "W". The sticker has the year "1958".
    About the pot: Me, I am astonished about T1 fixation and the insignia of lieutenant. I have believed insignias painted to the front of the shells were abandoned very early so that insignias and T1 systems were not in service at the same time and couldn't meet. What do you think? Is there a way to recognize if the insignia of lieutenant is original?

With best wishes,
    alter musketier

?

Hard to tell if the Lt. bar is original for sure, but it looks good to me. These were used with the T1's, so no problems there.
    I think painted insignia may have fallen out of use with the increasing use of issue cammo covers where you would see insignia pinned to the front or not used at all. That's just my theory, and I am sure I will be corrected if I'm wrong on this.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]