Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Dating M1 shell and liner - bizarre liner alterations.

Article about: did they only switch it to a lighter color? i got a korean war helmet a couple years ago with the post war blue anchor usmc cover but the paint job is darker and a sandy texture

did they only switch it to a lighter color? i got a korean war helmet a couple years ago with the post war blue anchor usmc cover but the paint job is darker and a sandy texture

Man thats one weird liner Mold stamp,hard to make out anything from it,sure its US origin?Happy Hunting......

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    Man thats one weird liner Mold stamp,hard to make out anything from it,sure its US origin?Happy Hunting......
    Could be a worn or poor Westinghouse mark they were in a circle like that one usually with a number. Capac is the most famous post war maker Westinghouse and Firestone I don't know about. timothy

Quote by timothy View Post
    Could be a worn or poor Westinghouse mark they were in a circle like that one usually with a number. Capac is the most famous post war maker Westinghouse and Firestone I don't know about. timothy
    My guess is that it's just a worn down Westinghouse stamp because of the circular outline. I know that the Micarta Division of Westinghouse continued to produce M1's when the post-war production started back up due to Korea (I have been unable to find a list of the liner manufacturers for Vietnam, however). There is no reason for me to believe that the liner is a foreign-product. If it were a WWII liner, I would say it could be a Mine Safety Appliance Company liner, as their stamp was also circular and is easily worn down and illegible, but I don't think they made them past '45, so that's not likely the case. If anyone knows of a chart of 'Nam manufacturers be sure to let me know, otherwise I'll just operate under the assumption that it is a Westinghouse.

Regards,
    -Evan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2