Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Early and late war lids

Article about: Hi folks, Came across 2 M1's yesterday. One is a late war swivel bail heatstamp 532C Major metal rank attached. Not sure if it's the real deal. Helmet has got a rough brush repaint .The meta

Default Early and late war lids

Hi folks,

Came across 2 M1's yesterday.
    One is a late war swivel bail heatstamp 532C Major metal rank attached. Not sure if it's the real deal.
    Helmet has got a rough brush repaint .The metal rank seems welded on, hence the heated, blackened mark on the inside.
    But I kinde loved it, so took it home :-)
    Any guesses on that?

The other one is an early war McCord, Fix bails , brass buckle stamped 184C. stress cracks
    Repainted in an attempt to give it the cool 3rd ID look, came with a nice Westinghouse liner, Laundry # S1031
    Leather strap was attached, but prob a EU clone.
    Nevertheless, for a (re-)starting collector like myself, a near complete nice early war helmet

Peter
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early and late war lids   Early and late war lids  

Early and late war lids   Early and late war lids  

Both were originally McCord Fixed Loop shells.The 532C was a swivel loop conversion with late war replacement T1 J hook and buckle,I never quite understand why someone repaints an original fixed loop shell,presuming it had its original paint/cork.If its been repainted then i suppose it makes no differance.

Nice lids, the laundry mark gives a mere 95 soldiers whom it might belong to...

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    Both were originally McCord Fixed Loop shells.The 532C was a swivel loop conversion with late war replacement T1 J hook and buckle,I never quite understand why someone repaints an original fixed loop shell,presuming it had its original paint/cork.If its been repainted then i suppose it makes no differance.
    Thanks for the info. Not sure if repaints were common practice on (officers) helmets or any specific reason for the repaint?
    One guy claims to have owned the helmet before and says it belonged to a 28th colonel who served in the 1960s. He later served as the commanding general of the 28th in the late 60s-early 70s. Couldn't give me a name.as it was 10 years ago he sold his assets. Anyone here knows who he's talking about?

As for the laundry number, mere 95 soldiers, yes but to bad no other indications are present to narrow that down.

Peter

Could be? --Maj. Gen. Henry K. Fluck 1953–1967
    Maj. Gen. Nicholas P. Kafakalas 1967–1977
    And officers with a long career tended to keep their older helmets and have them repainted etc..