Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Early M1 Helment help please

Article about: Hello, I picked up my first M1 helmet. fixed bales, front seem, brass covered strap hardware. liner has a 22w on it. just a plain W. Im figuring it is a Westinghouse but its not like their s

Default Early M1 Helment help please

Hello,
    I picked up my first M1 helmet. fixed bales, front seem, brass covered strap hardware. liner has a 22w on it. just a plain W. Im figuring it is a Westinghouse but its not like their stamp. Any ideas? Also the liner has soldiers info in it. AV-11-94... Aviation? helmet has a small stress crack on the back. it was period repainted heavy and i cant find a heat number...should i remove the paint to find the heat number? Early M1 Helment help pleaseEarly M1 Helment help pleaseEarly M1 Helment help pleaseEarly M1 Helment help pleaseEarly M1 Helment help pleaseEarly M1 Helment help pleaseEarly M1 Helment help please

I added the star...didnt know if it was a SS#.

MAP
    ?

Welcome to the forum.

I would think is his serial number. RA usually stands for Regular Army. (Also it is one number short if it was a social security number. ). If it is his serial number, you can look him up in the national archives.

Sorry but can't help with the helmet. Others will be along to opine however.

Regards,

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Should the liner webbing be tan? Or were the earliest M1's in OD? I am a bit of a rookie with these.

?

The liner is postwar this OD style was used from the Korean war to Vietnam and later

Definetly a post war liner.

Shell looks good by the way.

Regards,
    Taka

Great helmet, nice early M1. The liner is most likely dated 1952 or 1953.