MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Early Westinghouse Liner?

Article about: Evening all, I've acquired this interesting liner and I believe it's an early Westinghouse liner, what I think is interesting is that it has rayon webbing but is attached with steel A washer

Default Early Westinghouse Liner?

Evening all,
    I've acquired this interesting liner and I believe it's an early Westinghouse liner, what I think is interesting is that it has rayon webbing but is attached with steel A washers. The sweat band is a later clip on type but looks as though its been on it for most of the liners life (behind the clips the material is like new) and the nape strap is of the later herringbone pattern. If anyone has any info on these liners I would be very interested to hear!

On a separate note a name and a number have been scratched into the inside, it reads 'Georgas 2398', has anyone had any experience in tracing a helmets original owner by name and number? There are also some more numbers scratched into the rear but I'm having trouble making them out..

Sorry about the poor quality photos.

Early Westinghouse Liner?Early Westinghouse Liner?Early Westinghouse Liner?Early Westinghouse Liner?Early Westinghouse Liner?Early Westinghouse Liner?Early Westinghouse Liner?Early Westinghouse Liner?

?

A picture of the stamp in the crown would tell.

Took some slightly better photos, the photo of the mark is the best I could get. It's the standard Westinghouse W and circle with '20' above it.

Early Westinghouse Liner?Early Westinghouse Liner?Early Westinghouse Liner?Early Westinghouse Liner?

Blimey! Looks like it as an early one then, not quite as complete and in as good condition as yours but not a bad find I guess. Thanks for sharing, I'll keep my eyes peeling for a nice fixed bail to stick it in.

Hi Tommy,its commonly known as the transitional liner.most of these date around sept 1942,by then the 2nd pattern liner shell was being produced (chinstrap posts installed for the removeble leather chinstrap)also the new steel unpainted A Washers were readily available,but over at Westinghouse and Inland they decided to use up the excess stocks of Rayon webbing and sweatbands/nape,unfortunately yours has been altered quite a bit mate,also these were usually painted with the early dark smooth paint not the more light coloured textured olive drab which is seen on nearly all Khaki webbed liners from around this time onwards until production ceased in 1945..............if it was cheap then you've still done alright Bud............

That's great info cheers Rudders, I paid £30 for a French m51 and it turned up with it which I think was reasonable