Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Finally!!! Nice late war medic helmet

Article about: Well after a good 4 years of searching, I got myself what i believe (and a few close collectors) to be a late war, possible pacific theatre, medic lid. Didn't check heat stamp yet but it's a

Default Finally!!! Nice late war medic helmet

Well after a good 4 years of searching, I got myself what i believe (and a few close collectors) to be a late war, possible pacific theatre, medic lid. Didn't check heat stamp yet but it's a front seam swivel with a white Westinghouse liner. Only one Red Cross featured and no white circle. It's a commonly accepted belief that many axis troops violated the Geneva convention in desperation as the war ended, therefore medics began to remove the white circle or the cross all together to avoid standing out. This lid has traces of white paint and good all around even wear. Cross was hand painted and matches the aging and wear of the helmet. Got a nice deal on this one. Finally!!! Nice late war medic helmet

Finally!!! Nice late war medic helmetFinally!!! Nice late war medic helmetFinally!!! Nice late war medic helmetFinally!!! Nice late war medic helmetFinally!!! Nice late war medic helmetFinally!!! Nice late war medic helmetFinally!!! Nice late war medic helmetFinally!!! Nice late war medic helmet

- - ------- - -

Haven't posted in ages! Forgot how to work pics on mobile so sorry in advance for breaking everyone's necks!!

I could be wrong but the red paint doesn't look 70 years old to me.
    You said, medics began to remove the white circle or the cross all together to avoid standing out. This lid has traces of white paint.
    Medics had two and three panels of white circles with red crosses. Where does this helmet show signs of removal of white paint?
    Other than the red cross what makes you think this was a medic lid?

my medic pot has clear remnants of a white cirlce and big cross that was scratched off and replaced with a small red cross like yours has.

Looks like a good Pacific Theater Medic pot to me. In the Pacific the Medics learned very quickly that the white field on their helmets made excellent targets and most just put red crosses on the lids, which did not draw the attention, and hostile fire, that the "traditional" Medic helmets would. I like this one. Jim G.

Sorry to be a naysayer but I just don't get a warm and fuzzy feeling about this one.
    I hope I am wrong.