Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

First M1 helmet!

Article about: I remember seeing this one, a very decent example for a first M1. The over painted liner is best left as is and part of its history (IMO). You could probably remove the sticker glue fairly e

Default First M1 helmet!

Just joined the forum and thought I'd post my recent purchase. It's a front seam, fixed bale McCord pot with a heat stamp of 462A. The liner is a Firestone with unpainted "A" washers and what appears to be khaki suspension. The leather chinstrap also appears to be original. I'm pretty sure the liner has been repainted post war. The paint and cork on the pot appear to be original from what I can tell. Some of ya'll may have seen this helmet on ebay a few weeks ago, some previous owner had glued a Texas flag magnet to the side of the helmet. You can see some glue residue from where I removed the magnet.

Anyway, thanks for looking and opinions are greatly appreciated. If any information I gave above is incorrect please let me know.

Default Re: First M1 helmet!

Looks like a good one! Do you have photos of the liner?

Welcome to the forum, by the way!

Thanks! I'm glad to be here. I do have photos of the liner. I posted them in a second post but it said that it had to be approved by a moderator. I guess I could just add them to the original post too.

Nice! Other than perhaps being repainted/ recorked, I see no red flags.

?

Welcome to the forum!
    A very nice M1 and the description is good. The pot dates to around January 1943.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Quote by aj4010 View Post
    Welcome to the forum!
    A very nice M1 and the description is good. The pot dates to around January 1943.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Thanks for the info, I was wondering what the pot dated!

I've been collecting WW2 stuff for awhile but when I decided to try and find a helmet it took awhile to find the right one lol. I didn't want to pay an arm and a leg for one but I didn't want to get a bad one either. Ultimately I'm really pleased with this one and think I got a pretty good deal.

?

very nice first M-1 you did good & you went the right way about it taking your time & waiting for the right one to come along rather than rushing in & ending up with a piece of junk

I have a question. As I've mentioned in my previous post I don't think the paint on the liner is original. Do you guys agree? And if it's not original, would there be any issue with me stripping the current paint and doing a better/more original paint job on it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast