Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

First Pics.

Article about: by aj4010 The £/\\$ exchange rate was about 1:2 then also. I remember those days......

?

Default First Pics.

Good people of the forum. I've had this for a while, I got it quite cheaply.
    The thing is, it bothers me. I can look at it one day and think it is ok, the next it looks just wrong!
    Liner is a Westinghouse. I do not think the liner is original to the helmet. The lid is front seam swivel bail. Believe it is post WW2 "Korean" repaint. Note the overpainted officers "aiming stake" to the rear.
    Any thoughts?

Kind regards,

Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture First Pics.   First Pics.  

First Pics.   First Pics.  

First Pics.   First Pics.  

First Pics.  

?

Default Re: First Pics.

Oops, missed two!

Well, I am a Newbie.....

Regards,

Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture First Pics.   First Pics.  

Interesting... Chaplains lid, perhaps?

?

I think that is what it is trying to be, but the cross looks rather large/clumsy?

Maybe there were two attempts to paint the cross?

Regards,

Andy

Edited.

looks like a medics cross roughly done,with remnents of ETO C.O follow me stripe to the rear,period or soon after the war repaint,then lieutenants stripe added over repaint for korea or even nam...liner nam repaint glossy over original drab.dave

?

Quote by moaning minnie View Post
    looks like a medics cross roughly done,with remnents of ETO C.O follow me stripe to the rear,period or soon after the war repaint,then lieutenants stripe added over repaint for korea or even nam...liner nam repaint glossy over original drab.dave
    Thanks for that. This helmet could be any one of hundreds of permutations. Liner is not original to the lid, I am sure. The more I look at this thing, the more I get confused.
    No sign of red paint, as regards medic cross, unless it is PTO. I know that lacquer when applied to a cherished decal will bubble up under repaints.

Kind Regards

Andy

NCA
    ?

This might be of interest to you...
    U.S. Militaria Forum > 51st Infantry Division

Lid looks good to me.Very nice.

?

Very nice lid, lots of history behind this one.

Nitram

?

to me it looks like it may have originally been some sort of medic helmet not all medic helmets had the standard white circle with red cross if they were repainted in the field then they did it the best they could with what they had at hand.

i think its a great piece with a lot of character & possibility's

?

Thanks people. Well I never. Didn't think about field painted medic. So, if the medic cross is under the "Korean" paint, it could be WW2? Wow. I got it off ebay US about four years ago. I knew I was taking a chance, and there were no other bids! If I remember, I paid about $200-$300 for it. The £/$ exchange rate was about 1:2 then also.
    Thanks again, people.

Regards,

Andy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast